the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magnifyers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnifyers
    Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 4:14am

Can anyone enlighten me on the use of magnifyer filters - dont really know much about them.  What effect do they have on depth of field, working distance and image quality?  I use a 105mm 1:1 macro with my digi SLR which is great but sometimes feel it would be good to have a little more working distance.  Am I on the right track? Any recommendations?

Cheers guys

Rhys
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 5:35am
Basically, they allow you to move closer to your subject, and therefore it fills the frame more. As you move closer, you inevtiably loose depthof field. Image quality - bolting an extra piece of glass in front of your lens will inevitably lead to some slight loss, but if you choose a good make and keep it clean and scratch free, it should not be noticeable.

An alternative choice is an extension ring, which you fit between the lens and the camera body, and which has the same effect. Differences are (i) you don't get an extra piece of glass in front of your lens, hence no loss of quality; but (ii) you have to take the entire lens off the camera to fit it(possibility of dust getting in, bad for digi-SLRs); and (iii) you loose some light (i.e. f-stops) unless you use a flash.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Edited by Wolfgang Wuster
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 6:39am
Thanks Wolfgang - I hadn't realised that they simply allowed you to get closer - not really what I had in mind.
Rhys
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 7:53am
If you want something that allows you greater magnification at the same distance, or more distance at the same magnification, then you will need a teleconverter. These go between the lens and the camera, but instead of allowing you to go closer, they make your lens "longer" - i.e., if you use a 1.4 X teleconverter with a 100mm macro, then you will in effect have a 140 m macro, if you use a 2x a 200 mm macro, etc. However, you again loose quite a bit of light with a teleconverter, and I suspect that image quality may also suffer slightly.

Note that these aren't as cheap as magnifying filters or extension rings, since they contain quite a bit of optical glass themselves. On the other hand, they are a lot cheaper than actually buying a 200 mm macro....

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 10:31am

Wolfgang,

Thank you very much - sounds like what I'm after!

Cheers

Rhys

P.S. Gemma - good forum idea!!

Rhys
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 6:41am
A quick note on image qaulity with teleconvertors. They work by cropping the image coming from the lens, then magnifying this cropped area over the image sensor. As a result there is a loss in quality directly relational to the convertor factor. So, a 1.4x convertor reduces a lenses linear resolving capability by about 30%, whereas a 2x convertor will reduce linear resolution by 50%. These figures assume the teleconvertor is optically perfect, which in reallity, none are. More expensive TCs DO perform better than cheap ones but by far the biggest factor influencing final image quality is the quality of the original lense. Prime lenses do markedly better with TCs than zooms for this reason, while 1.4x convertors tend to give noticeably superior results to 2x ones.

Rhys, I'm not sure what system you use but in case it's Canon it's probably worth pointing out that Canons own 1.4x and 2x only work with a few Canon lenses, and no lenses by other manufacturers. In which case, the best bet is something like Kenko Pro TCs, that work with everything but EF-S lenses.

As for light drop off, this is easy to calcuate:

1.4x convertor = 1 stop light loss
2x convertor = 2 stops light loss

So if you're not using flash, it helps to start with a fast lens (another reason primes are useful!).

Lee.
Lee Fairclough
Paul Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2005 at 4:23pm
I use both a 2x and a 1.5x on my canon 100mm macro and have to say the 1.5x is acceptable but the 2x is poor in terms of image quality so dont tend to use it much at all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic