the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Native Crickets & Grasshoppers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2006 at 5:39pm

I saw this Dark Bush Cricket (long anntenae cropped off the image to reduce file size) yesterday afternoon at Bartley Heath, on the trunk of an oak tree.  She had lost one hind-leg, but was still mobile.

Grateful for advice on what the white object is on the end of her abdomen, and what she is doing in the second shot.  A suggestion from a fellow observer is that it is a sperm packet (spermatophore) and she is trying to bite it - which would match a description in "Grasshoppers and allied insects" by Marshall and Haes.  Can anyone confirm that?

Peter Vaughan
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 7:19am
Nice pictures. I saw one on the coast path at Budleigh Salterton yesterday and heard lots more.
Suz
Dasaan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dasaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2006 at 7:20pm
I found this fellow at Brook Meadow in Emsworth, Hants a couple of months ago.

He(edit: um, apparently she) became quite popular at work when I took some photos in.

Edited by Dasaan
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 9:08am

Nice picture Dasaan.  I went to grasshopper and cricket identification workshop in Hampshire yesterday.  The colourfull beast above appears to be the purple form of the Meadow Grasshopper, Chlorthippus parallelus (which would make it a female!).

The course tutor brought along a live specimen of a Mole Cricket, shown below.  An amazing creature - looks like at least two insects bolted together to me.  It is recorded as a UK species although in reality may be an accidental foreign import which occasionally establishes a breeding colony here (there is one in the New Forest).  Lives underground - and has powerful front legs for digging.   Whether its small wings would actually enable it to fly is also a matter for debate - apparently there are reports of it getting airborn but anatomically that looks unlikely.  

Peter

Peter Vaughan
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 1:50pm

Hi all,

how about this from last week. Rousell's I believe

R

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic