the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Newt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzyduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common Newt?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2005 at 2:08pm

not the woodlouse

I found this little fellow while moving heavy bags of hardcore around.  As it was very likely he was going to get injured / crushed he was placed in protective custody, and released when we had finished.

Is he/she a Common Newt?

what a lovely creature.

And as a bonus, i then unearthed a Common toad, who was saved from the wall that we are demolishing.

Edited by fuzzyduck
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2005 at 1:41pm

I would say it is a smooth - you can tell palmate from the little nodule on the hind feet - especially in females -

JC

fuzzyduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzyduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2005 at 5:09pm
We've christened him/her "Norman" and we'll be building a Newt friendly pond to encourage him/her and his/her little newtie friends. hopefully the neighbour's cats won't eat it.

honestly it was a suprise as there isn't any standing water nearby. but not nearly as much as the grass snake swimming in the soar a few weeks back.
djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2006 at 2:26pm
common newt it is,
I recon...
Reptiles & Amphibians of France:
www.herpfrance.com

European Field Herping Community:
www.euroherp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic