the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some more off-topic pics...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some more off-topic pics...
    Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 2:16pm
Hi all

As some people have been posting some non-uk herp pics I thought, what the hell may as well join in!  Here are some pics from the year I spent surveying and researching Malaysian herps.  Theres nothing special about the photography but the herps themselves are fantastic and comparitively unstudied.  If people like what they see there is more but dont want to clog up the forum too much!

Limnonectes blythi (Ranid family) lovely dorsal strip.  Lives in rivers with gravel substrates.  Males create small depressions where an elaborate courtship takes place before eggs are laid.

Kaloula pulchra - this frog has a call like a cow!  Its defence mechanism is to inflate its whole body, increasing its size substantially.  A very funny site!

A ceacillian (Icthyophis sp.) - very little is known about these rare burrowing amphibians.

Dryocalamus subannulatus - a kind of tree snake that is able to launch itself off branches to escape predators.  There are also flying snakes which are able to glide quite long distances.

Juvenile Wagler's pit viper (Tropidolaemus wagleri) - They lose the red markings as they mature.  Wouldn't want to be bitten by this fella!

Ptychozoon khulli - a flying gecko - able to use the extended skin flaps along its flanks and between the toes for controlled gliding.  The skin is incredibly soft.  It seems Malaysia has a flying version of everything - flying lizards (I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Draco familiy) snakes and flying frogs!

Have a good weekend everyone

Cheers

Edited by rhysrkid
Rhys
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 2:29pm
Excellent!! Thanks.

You spent a year out in Malaysia? Lucky
rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2005 at 8:02am
Alan

I was lucky!  Have had itchy feet ever since.  Hoping to plan another short trip later this year.  Well worth it - every night you can see something new.
Rhys
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2005 at 10:22am
Hi Rhys,

Yeah I've felt the same since returning from Tobago this past christmas . My perspective on Life has changed completely as I look around this fake concrete, plastic and metal bubble we call UK.

Thanks for sharing your malaysia experience , i'll sort out some tobago pics soon.
Alan
rhysrkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2005 at 10:53am

Hi Alan

I share your sentiments - living in London doesn't help, although the UK does sometimes provide pleasant surprises and there is soooooo much to learn about what we do have.  I for one am in awe of the online collective knowledge within this forum, with new interesting observations posted each week.

The sad thing about many tropical countries is the rate of deforestation and habitat destruction through legal and illegal logging.  ItĘs a sad sight to see jungle on fire, so I fear that no where provides a complete refuge from the onslaught of human 'progress'.  Borneo has some of the most amazing forest I have ever seen (and frogs, lizards and snakes!), but that is slowly disappearing under oil palm plantations (which incidentally is one of the country's largest exports to Europe labelled as vegetable oil...we are all guilty and need to pay more attention to where our consumables are sourced).  Ah well - go see it while you can!

I look forward to your Tobago pics - perhaps this can become a casual exotic/holiday thread??!!  I have loads of slides but unfortunately not that many on CD - do you know any where that can scan them for a reasonable price?

Regards

Edited by rhysrkid
Rhys
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 6:39am
Morning Rhys

Yes yes , Deforestation is indeed very sad . Also in Tobago eating 'Bushmeat' is still very much alive . After observing a large Tegu and Green iguana I was told by a friend that lives in Tobago to keep very hush or they would be in the pot before sundown. Also large Boas reguarly just run over and still twitching in the roads.

I do like UK for some of the reasons you mention. Also I feel that British people are some of the best on earth.
Still, my time for mooching abroad more reguarly will come when my children have grown . Sarah (my wife) is keen to see all the creatures ot there too.

take care Rhys , and have a great Sunday
Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic