the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

close up pic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 7:25am

So it would be better to save my pennies up for the MT24EX then, rather than going for a Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX?

PS what is CUs ???

-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 11:25am
True, the two speedlite option does weigh a lot. The prob with the MT24 is the ú600 price tag (that and it only fits a limited number of Canon lenses - all canon macros are okay though). I elected to spend the money I saved on Gym membership so I could support it ;o). That said, a good marcro bracket is around ú100 too(or you can make your own for less). There are very few cheap things in photography, unfortunately. My advice to anyone considering it would be try a smack habbit first, it's a far cheaper hobby.

Alternatively, if you have 6 inches or more working distance a single speedlite on a bracket off-camera can produce terrific results, especially if you use a small ball-head so that you can position the speedlite freely. Again, using the wide panel or a cheap Stoffen diffuser (or even grease proof paper!) helps keep the shot looking natural. I've even got decent macro shots with the onboard flash by using a piece of white card as a reflector (ah, the joys of being a student).

As for lenses, I have a 100mm macro lenses but for reptiles my favourite combo is a 70-200 IS with a small extension tube. After that it's prob the 50mm 1.8 standard lens and extension tubes where needed (ú30 s/h and sharper than any of my L glass). For more extreme macro work it's a set of manual bellows and an old Zeiss 55mm, but this is only for very small insects rather than reptiles.

I guess every photographer develops their own style of shooting based around what kit they have. Ultimately you don't need the best kit to take superb pictures, what you are buying, though, is a big dollop of convenience. It can make your life easier.

Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic