the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fungi to be with

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fungi to be with
    Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:41am
Has anyone an interest in fungi ? I like to take photos of the ones I find when I'm out and about if I stumble on them when the herps are lowand later on in the season, but lack the knowledge to properly identify them. Does anyone have any expertease in this area and could help me with identify some of them ?  (Ben ?? )
Cheers,
Chris 
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 6:14pm
Hi Chris,

I've heard that the best way to identify fungi is to taste them Big smile

R
RobV
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->

Hi Chris,

I've heard that the best way to identify fungi is to taste them Big smile

R

yeah, all fungi are edible - once!!

hi chris, yes fungi are a good sidetrack when the herps are in bed!
however, given that there are hundreds of species and that the appearance of fruiting bodies is so unpredictable, it can often be a bit of a 'mare to ID with confidence many of them.
id love to see any pix you take though. im sure others here would too. mushrooms are beautiful and fascinating!
i know quite a few species but am nowt but a pimple on a mycologists bum.
certain Genera are more familiar to me than others. IE im quite good on edibles, poisonous and hallucinogenic because thats where my main interest lies but the myriad of smaller species are more of an educated guess or no idea!

ispot is always worth a try (though as Gemma has said elsewhere on RAUK)
you cant completely trust anything on the internet. esp when all youve got to go on is pix. everyone makes mistakes.
if you go on there then i suggest (to aid the experts) you;

1. supply pix of the cap from above and also the underside (gills, pores or whatever) and the leg/base of the stem.
2. give a detailed description of the dimensions of the mushroom, substrate, nearby trees (many species are symbiotic), habitat etc.
3. deliberately "bruise" a bit of the flesh and see if it changes colour.if so, report this and any detectable smell too.

if youre looking to eat fungi be careful.

if in any doubt at all leave alone

having said that happily, many of the good edibles like wood and field blewits, the parasols, giant puffball, cauliflower fungus, horse mushrooms, wood mushrooms, chicken of the woods, St georges, chanterelle, the 2 species of oyster mushrooms, hedgehog fungus, beefsteak etc etc are fairly easily ID'd.
likewise many of the deadly poisonous.

funny you should post this cos i saw an edible today - The Blusher.

hope all this helps you chris!

ben
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 7:21am
I do like looking up edibles in my mushroom book on some of the species that I see when out , but I am still not sure what are the magic mushrooms that are hallucinates.or perhaps have been hallucinating all the time without knowing keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:48am
Maybe RAUK doesn't exist Keith and the last few years have been a fungal induced dream, you will wake up soon and someone will tell you that you have only been "gone" for 10 mins.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 12:40pm
Stick to a handful of easy species and you'll be fine. St George's, Chanterelle, Ceps and Boletes, Oyster, Horse/Field, Parasol, Beefsteak, Chicken of the woods, Hedgehog, Giant Puffball, Black Trumpets are all pretty idiot proof, and Liberty Cap if you're that way inclined! Not much point in messing with the rest, as luckily the tastiest species tend to be the easiest ones to id. 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:45pm
hi keith, will put up some pix of "magic mushrooms" (Psilocybe semilanceata/Psilocybe cyanescens/Amanita muscaria and - according to BBC Wildlife magazine - Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca (False Chanterelle) as and when i see them if that helps!

its up to you if you want a psychedelic experience or not!
its not everyones cup of (mushroom) tea.

cheers, ben
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 8:05pm
Hi Ben et al,
Thanks for all the "great" advice.  I'm just about to tuck into my tea, mushroom soup made from some beautiful white mushrooms I found in the woods nearby. They had lovely skirts around their stems, Yum yum !! Kidding aside I'm pretty good at identifying some of the obvious ones, edible as well as inedible ones. I don't eat any, just take pictures of any I see, then out of curiousity try to identify them from the books. I find that they can vary in colour that identifying them can be a bit of a hit and miss affair. There's a great market stall in the nearby town of Beverley which has a great selection of edible ones, chantelles, boletus, ceps etc, but so far i've never been tempted. I wonder if they do a side line of the magic ones, I must ask next time that I'm there !  
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:52am
Might have to try Camden Market for that one Chris!

And sorry Ben, I just re-read the thread proper and saw that you had already given a similar list of edibles. Still i had forgotten the blewits, which are probably my favourite eating shroom.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic