the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fruits of their labours

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fruits of their labours
    Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:29pm
Last official day of summer and I was feeling a bit melancholy - til I saw something that was a first for me - a litter of smooth snakes basking together (in fact 5 or 6 together and another 3 closeby).  This was at the same spot as the couple of gravid females I saw earlier in the year.  The sand lizard hatchling was within 50cm of the litter - he'd better watch out!

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:25am
Hi Will nice pics any where near the spot ?keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:53am
What a very pleasing encounter and photos to remember the moment. Great record and thanks for sharing Will. 
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:08am
Are these pre first shed? Top right one in the first picture looks milky-eyed, and they all look a bit subdued in colour (but then I've never seen neonate smooth snakes).
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 12:29pm
Keith - yes, 'that' spot exactly!

Brett - cheers, I will indeed remember that little cluster of perfect snakes

Caleb - yes, several had already shed and had a lovely sheen to them (I think these ones were amongst the ones that I found a few metres from the 'pile' - so maybe starting to disperse), but the rest, as you rightly spotted, are yet to shed

Cheers
Will
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 6:48pm
cracking post!

cheers for sharing will.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:57am
Cheers Ben; we kid ourselves that spotting reptiles is to do with fieldcraft etc but as always, it's a question of luck and being in the right place at the right time.  If I'd stuck with the original plan and checked out another site on my list, I'd have missed them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic