the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs spawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frogs spawn
    Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:40pm
Hi, Been busy this week relocating frogs spawn. Loads and loads.Don't get alarmed as only being transported a very short distance. Here in Essex the frogs,at my known sites, have spawned in the temporary flood pools and puddles that will certainly be void of water before metamorphosis. Strange that more permanent waters( and their usual breeding areas) are only a matter of a few metres away. I presume that the shallow waters have warmed and become more appealing to the frogs. Any other members with similar observations
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 9:43pm
Often seen it Rupe, though not in Essex. Would do exactly the same thing and move it to somewhere sensible and have done often.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:14am
Hi Rupe

Yes. on the lawn in a friend's garden they all spawned in temporary puddles resulting from melted snow (which dried up).
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:20pm
Having heard that Gemma has moved her frog spawn indoors I was wondering what to do with mine. I would choose this year for it to 'fend for itself'! I strongly suspect my early spawn died in the snow the other week and now having lots more spawn I was hoping to leave it alone. Anyway I relented at 5.45pm and was out in falling snow and zero temps scooping as much as I could into a bucket. I hadn't realised just how much I had and quickly had the bucket almost three quarters full. I topped it up with pond water and put it in the greenhouse. There is an equal amount left in the pond which will have to take its chances. I noticed quite a lot of commas amongst the full stops in the jelly. 

Edited by Suzy - 17 Mar 2018 at 7:21pm
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:02pm
Suzy - what part of the Uk are you in? I seem to be the only place without any spawn...
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:31pm
Gone the same way Suz, 50% in slightly deeper water left to take it's chances, 50% now in shallow trays in the living room. Having just purchased the trays, no doubt will now end up raising the taddies to a good size indoors after last years pesticide induced disaster. I've already done their first batch of boiled and liquidized cabbage and put it in the freezer for when they eventually hatch lol.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:35pm
Can I now be hard hearted and tip the whole lot back into the pond when better weather appears?!
Chubsta I am in East Devon. We are in a valley bottom and not a particularly favoured spot temperature wise. I have had spawn some years up to 20th March.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 4:38pm
Depending how advanced the spawn is, i would put the bucket outside for a bit to acclimatise it before emptying it back into the pond.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:06pm
When we release our taddies in batches, we float the tray out on the pond for an hour so (not in strong sun) so the water temp in the tray slowly matches the pond. Neighbours think we are nuts, but that was never much of a secret really.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:09am
I wondered the other day if any neighbours saw me from their upstairs windows doing a very slow shuffle for half an hour to and fro between my two ponds watching for frogs! 
Twenty years ago with my son and brother we fixed a white sheet up and put a strong torchlight behind it to attract moths. We sat around on garden chairs in the dark watching the lit up sheet....again wonder what they thought!
Actually when I think of it there is a long list of odd behaviour here!
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic