the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

foul for postmen, fine for frogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: foul for postmen, fine for frogs
    Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 8:53pm
hi again,

here in the Cotswolds the weather (of late) has been very changeable - sunny spells and showers.
at work, ive been soaked, dried out and got sodden again on numerous days!
bah!

by the by, i went out in the garden yesterday and saw 9 frogs in only a couple of mins.
the buggers were hopping about all over the place - which pleased me no end!

heres a few pix for RT fans like me and Baby Sue;

these are adults and subs.

slightly red individual;

heres some urban habitat pix inc frog, newt and slow worm refugia/aquatic and terrestrial homeland.

associated native flora include; brooklime, yellow flag, hornwort, duckweed (), royal fern, male fern, canadian pondweed, herb robert, herb bennet, hornwort, perennial rye grass, yorkshire fog, great brome, harts tongue fern, ivy, nettle, great willowherb, broad-leaved willowherb, purple loosestrife, bittercress, shepherds purse, bluebell, petty spurge, bramble, watercress, bristly ox tongue, knotgrass, kingcup, ivy-leaved toadflax, water mint, brooklime, black and red currant, raspberry, fringed waterlily, orache, old mans beard, lepiota procera (parasol) and other fungi, various rushes,reeds and numerous also-ran unidentifieds!

not bad for an urban environment methinx.

certainly the herps seem happy - therefore, SO AM I!

garden "tins". the upturned aquarium works quite well for AF!

whenever i lift it (not often - i dont like to disturb too much) this old railway sleeper NEVER fails to yield multiple herps;

regards to all Raukers,

ben
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:16pm
My next door neighbour is a postie Ben,a scoucer ,really lovely fella.In the middle of getting drenched last week he had a bullmastif hurle a fence and bite him multiple times on his hand.The very apologetic owner help bandage him up,and off he went on his rounds again.What a trouper.Funnily enough hes scared of frogs!He shouts me round when he finds them in the garden.LOL
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:43am

Originally posted by dave fixx dave fixx wrote:

My next door neighbour is a postie Ben,a scoucer ,really lovely fella.In the middle of getting drenched last week he had a bullmastif hurle a fence and bite him multiple times on his hand.The very apologetic owner help bandage him up,and off he went on his rounds again.What a trouper.Funnily enough hes scared of frogs!He shouts me round when he finds them in the garden.LOL

How many times have you been bitten by dogs Ben? Uncle Derek’s a delivery driver and he delivered a package to a house and a kid opened the door and a large dog saw him and charged at Uncle Derek, Uncle tried protecting his package (strangely ) (I mean the package he was delivering, not his other package ) and the dog jumped up and grabbed him by the beer belly. He had to go to hospital. & then he got bitten on his *rse a few weeks later by a dog on a farm when he was about to board a flight and go on holiday. He wasn’t working, he was just leaving his car at the farm instead of paying airport carpark charges.  He had an uncomfortable flight.   I ain’t never been bitten by a dog, I’ve had near dos but ain’t got got yet. I’m scared sh*tless of dogs actually. I love going out for long walks in the country on my own every weekend but peoples’ dogs make it stressful sometimes. I don’t never go out without my walking stick or an umbrella no more cos I need something to whack them with if I need to. There’s been several times when I haven’t had a stick with me and I’ve almost been in tears with large unruly dogs jumping up at me, it’s rubbish when there’s no tree to climb or a way to get away. I like to take Meanie Mummy out with me, if she comes out I don’t need a stick, I always run behind her and let her get got or hit the dog. She got a bitten ankle once at a farm we was walking through, thankfully I was using her as my shield. I’m no good with pain, I cry and winge like a baby.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:29pm
Bit bitten loads of times Sue.
So far, Jack Russells, Collies, Alsatians, Black Labs, West Highland Terriers and various mongrels have all preferred Rigsby leg, arm, hand, buttock, stomach and groin [twice there! 8(]) to Pedigree Chum.
ive even been to casualty a couple of times.

whenever it happens and the owner is present, they invariably remark "ooh he/shes never done THAT before"
LOL

Edited by ben rigsby - 13 Jul 2011 at 10:30pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:16am

Then why on earth do you carry on doing your job?!!!! Are you crazy?! Have you got a death wish?! Have you got scars? Can you sue the Royal Mail for injuries at work? Ain’t no way I’d do a job that’d get me injured. I once stabbed myself in my finger with a pen once and accidentally tattooed myself at my last workplace as a draughtsgirl and I’ve never gotten over that. A little speck of black in my finger is a constant reminder that I used to draw. I’d hate a reminder of a dog attack.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:57pm
you cant sue RM Sue but you can sue the owner. after the first 3 times i was attacked my patience started to fray so i attempted this.
basically, it comes under the dog owners house insurance.
however, if the owner denies it happened and the dog has never officially bitten someone before, then the claim will fail.

how ridiculous

if i stabbed someone i wouldnt be let off just because id never done it before would i?
its one law for dogs and another for us mere humans.

when a womans dog bit me in the stomach it was the final straw for me. i wasnt putting up with this any longer. after i attended casualty for treatment and got a tetanus update, i put a solicitor onto it.

the owner (who was present when it happened!) not only denied her dog bit me, but she even tried to throw my good name into disrepute by claiming i had been watching her through the window like some pervert. utter, utter lies. i didnt even see her til she came outside.
Bitch.

i had to drop the case. even though i had photos of the wound, hospital records, a doctors report and a crime number from the police.

bummer eh?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:32am
"He's only being friendly." - As he pins you to a tree/the ground.
Suz
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 9:01am

You loser Ben. You should never ever ever quit. Trust me, I may not have years of worldly wisdom but I do have a lot of experience in being persistent and difficult and when everything looks to be going against you you should never just give up. That’s the worst thing you can do. Always look forward to your next move and see just how far you can take it. That woman dog owner should have been made to suffer in one way or another or in many, many, many ways.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 9:03am

BTW, can’t you refuse to enter her property for health and safety reasons? Hope she hasn’t had mail since.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 9:33pm
hi suz
guess youve had similar experiences too - when out walking?

people always complain about cats on wildlife forums and thats fair enough but equally one could moan about mans best friend pooing everywhere, disturbing wildlife and biting postmen.
however, as a (sometime) dog and cat owner i appreciate the company they give to people too. as you said elsewhere suz its hard to balance our lives.
im not gonna deride an old lady whos only companion is her pet cat, a dog owner who gets out and enjoys nature more because fido needs walking or the pleasure awarded to a rodent keeper.

sue, as i said there was no point continuing with the claim. under British Law i didnt have a leg to stand on and risked incurring further legal fees had i continued.
maybe i was a "loser" but there was no chance of winning - the solicitor told me.
i dont deliver in this mutt owner's area now.

Edited by ben rigsby - 15 Jul 2011 at 10:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic