the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seen an interesting news item?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 8:01am
Nothing about this surprises me at all. 

We have seen in action here the concept behind 'land banks'

The developer pays for land

The animals are dumped there

The site is later developed in any case

Here is the link again, as my post seems to have demoted it to the page before:

I have over the past decade totally lost any respect for Wildlife Trusts that I may have had. This should be held as a case study of exactly why some of the people behind them ought to be behind bars instead of entrusted to conserving wildlife.

Edited by GemmaJF - 22 Jun 2013 at 8:09am
sejvej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sejvej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 9:46pm
This is the link to the film about the mass translocation which took place. 

http://www.londongateway.com/about-us/media/video-vault/environmental-programme

sejvej
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 9:41am
I thought the concept of 'land banking' was cynical enough, but retranslocation of previously translocated animals is going one better than that!
sejvej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sejvej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 10:04am
There is no mention of translocation.  Wiltshire wildife say the solar panels will enhance the habitat for the reptiles and improve biodiversity. What are the chances that Natural England will intervene?
sejvej
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

I thought the concept of 'land banking' was cynical enough, but retranslocation of previously translocated animals is going one better than that!

I guess the only good thing to come out of this whole sorry tale is that fact it is so blatant, so obvious what has gone on and so totally immoral that nobody surely could fail to see through the usual piles of rhetoric spouted by the organisations involved. 

That a solar farm benefits reptiles because it reduces global warming goes down as my favourite nonsense statement of all time from a Wildlife Trust. That takes some doing it has to be said.

Lets just hope over time by highlighting these ill thought out and frankly mercenary schemes the wider public will catch on. The scheme will only benefit one party and it certainly will not be the reptiles captured in Essex and dumped at Sandpool Farm.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 11:11am
sejvej: - There is no mention of translocation. Wiltshire wildife say the solar panels will enhance the habitat for the reptiles and improve biodiversity - perhaps solar panels are the latest thing in in-situ mitigation - after all, reptiles do like to bask on warm objects, eh?Wink
sejvej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sejvej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 2:42pm
The reptiles may well have to resort to basking on the panels as they won't get much warmth on the reptile bund Wiltshire Wildlife have put in. It is presently shaded by between 3 and 4 ft high stinging nettles. The reptiles and the resident great crested newts could always get out of the stinging nettles and climb to the top of the "purpose built hibernaculum" At fifteen foot tall last years hedge clippings and prunings offer a good vantage point. It is situated within the designated area for the solar array. Surely they aren't going to move it! A spokesman for Wiltshire Wildlife said "in itself the site is currently not of any great ecological value, but under the management of the Trust it has been enhanced to create habitat for the terrestrial phase of the Great Crested Newt and for lizards and grass snakes,”
sejvej
sejvej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sejvej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 2:27pm
Stop press

Wiltshire Wildlife withdraw application for Solar Array at Sandpool Farm!!!

Fantastic, brilliant, excellent, awesome, unreal, amazing, Need I go on?Announcement was made at 12 o'clock!
sejvej
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 7:00am
Wonders will never cease!  good to have a ray of sunshine, as one might say, in the cloudy murk of UK herp conservation...
sejvej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sejvej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 6:21pm
They threaten to apply again next year and are spewing  the same rhetoric. Why don't they just give up? Natural England obviously wouldn't support them and they knew it was all over. An MP, Prince Charles!! and two conservation groups on Gary Mantles back and all on the same day! Just goes to show that just occasionally the big boys do lose. Clap
sejvej
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
  Share Topic