the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seen an interesting news item?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 11:47am

Hi everyone

Whilst shopping this morning I saw a headline in the local newspaper regarding the removal of reptiles from the Mash Barn Lane area of Lancing, where Brighton and Hove Albion are planning to build a training ground. It transpires that even though the planning application is not to be heard until 1st October, Adur District Council have already given permission for the removal of reptiles to commence. And, indeed, this has commenced on 18th September by, they maintain, "an experienced and qualified ecologist".

Given the time of year it is only in the most exceptionally good weather that a reptile clearance would even be considered by any competent ecologist. Clearly, however, experienced and qualified this ecologist may be, they are, given current and forecast weather  in practise , totally incompetent. 

Such undertaking now (which according to the newspaper involves moving animals in hibernation) will simply result in the deaths of large numbers of animals - but, hey, you know that bit!

Before you ask, I am completely indifferent at a personal level as to whether or not this application succeeds - it's nowhere near me!! But I am concerned about this ill-conceived and misguided so-called mitigation.

The only links I can give you are:-

Planning Application = http://planning.adur-worthing.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

Local residents blog = http://saveourgap.wordpress.com/author/saveourgap/ (article of 18 September) 

I personally have written to the council and to my local MP (who also covers this area) although, sadly, the chances of this having any effect are small. Sussex ARG have, already, I gathered raised this issue.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:03pm
Absolutely the worst scenario one could imagine. 

There is absolutely no circumstance where animals should be moved before planning permission and the client should have been advised so. 

To start in September, which clearly is not suitable this year is simple incompetence on the part of the consultant involved. Working in September takes judgement of weather conditions, both long-term and short-term, I knew in the very first week this year September would not be a suitable month for survey or mitigation.

One can only imagine this is a money driven exercise by a consultant who values cash above their reputation.

Lets hope this is stopped Chris.

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:27pm
This is a matter for the Police. It is the Police who are the ones which would deal with protected species - Natural England would be involved if this was a license for an EPS species. 

Moving animals in this weather and this late on in the season could be unlawful. The planning authority should not have allowed for the removal of the animals prior to planning permission 

Is there any information on the receptor site they are being moved to at all?

Regards
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:30pm
I think you are right Jon - this really is a case of animal welfare and the Police should be involved. Though I would think it wise that NE are kept in the loop.
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:30pm
Phone 101 - tell the police that reptiles are being moved which can lead to the death or injury of reptiles which are protected under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended etc).

Report it take a crime reference number - the wildlife crime officer should make a visit and discuss this with the ecologists etc to make sure that a crime is not being committed.

It is not only the WCA 1981 there is the welfare legislation and the abandonment of animals legislation to consider as well.

Regards
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:31pm
NE would only be involved if it was related to SSSI, or EPS license breaches - the police would take advice from NE.

This should stop the movement of animals at this time.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:07pm
Agreed Jon, there are potentially offences under both the WCA 1981 and the Abandonment of Animals Act 1960 to be considered. 

The very brief summary of the Abandonment of Animals Act as provided by Defra reads:

This Act makes it an offence for the owner, or any person having charge or control of an animal, to abandon it, whether permanently or not, in circumstances likely to cause it any unnecessary suffering.

It is crystal clear to me that moving reptiles in the current weather condition would be likely to cause unnecessary suffering.

At the very least this work should be stopped in its tracks though I believe in this case the consultant claiming to be a 'an experienced and qualified ecologist' ought to be investigated further by the Police.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:15pm
I think if you walked into a cop shop and reported any of the herp removal scenarios it would end up with you being arrested for wasting police time or ushered out of the station with a caution.keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:05pm
Why would you think that Keith? Most forces now have wildlife liaison officers who should be up to speed on wildlife crime issues.

It is extremely important people do report these sort of events and record the crime number.

sejvej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sejvej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 4:15pm
Some of you will remember the controversy surrounding the translocation of thousands of reptiles from Essex  to Wiltshire a couple of years ago. Dubai Ports financed it and the reptiles were sent  to two sites managed by Wiltshire Wildlife. One of these sites was Sandpool Farm which is in fact in Gloucestershire.   Sandpool Farm was purchased for them by Dubai Ports. Wiltshire Wildlife are at present applying for planning permission to develop a solar park on this site with no regard for the reptiles they were paid £180,000 to relocate . We are relying on Natural England to step in and advise the council to reject this application. Despite having translocated a large number of reptiles to this site they are claiming the land is of little ecological value. They carried out ecological survey in December! If the wildlife trusts wont stand up for wildlife what hope is there!

Edited by herpetologic2 - 21 Jun 2013 at 8:14pm
sejvej
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
  Share Topic