the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New server and forum facilities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 7:49pm
and me.

during such crises, baby sues HILARIOUS emoticon reflects my frustration perfectly!

eternally grateful to Gemma, Caleb et al for this premiere site though.
no signs of inbreeding depression on RAUK.
its as diverse as one could (presently) reasonably expect and all levels of interest/knowledge are catered for. theres plenty of fun too. love it.
its good to connect.

few tadpoles will become an adult frog and similarly, few of us herp lovers will ever have what it takes to become a herpetologist.
i dont care. we are all on the same side arent we?

ben
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 10:43am

Your speech has made me all emotional Ben.

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 8:17pm
Hi Sue/Ben/Suzi ... and everyone else

I'm sorry about the error messages you and others (including me!) are getting.

There are two causes. One is simply that the popularity and consequent volume that RAUK carries is really beyond what the software is designed for. A simple solution would be to upgrade to a much more powerful database and a more modern interface. This however, would create a cost which is many orders of magnitude beyond what I currently pay - and in the current economic climate I cannot look to ARC/ARG for a further contribution. I do plan to move to a new much more powerful solution but this is a huge job.

The second reason is that over the as few months we have suffered at the hands of some of the relatively small group of sub-human morons who take delight in screwing up forums. In this case,our membership has shot up from about 2,500 to in excess of 20,000 in three months! All of these people are, basically spammers (and, of course, scum of the lowest order)

At some point over the next few days I will be closing the forum to new posts for a few hours to exterminate these people from the database.

Once again, my apologies. I will do my best to resolve.

All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 10:46pm
Hi everyone

As a short term measure to try to improve things I have temporarily suspended new member registration and deleted every inactive member who has made no posts. My sincere apologies if I have inadvertently deleted anyone who I shouldn't have. This has knocked about 19,000 (non) members on the head which should help things along.

Even with this done, the underlying database at around 53Mb, together with the heavy usage means that we are pushing the capability of the current software to its limits.

As a longer term measure it is very likely that I will have to close this forum to new posts (although it will remain available to view history) and create a new forum. Unfortunately, this would need people to re-register.

I would be very grateful for any views that anyone might care to offer.

All the best
Chris

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 9:51am

I have no suggestions only a comment: - I like this forum just the way it is, I donĘt want a new forum, I want this one, I wanna play here.

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 10:10am
Hi Sue

Believe you me, I don't want to go through the hassle either. But, new or old, I hope you will continue to play with us!

In the meantime EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE. I AM CLOSING THE FORUM TO NEW POSTS FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS.

This is so that I can compact and repair the database. Things are so bad at the moment that I can't even perform some of the Administration tasks.

All the best
Chris

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 8:04am
Chris,

I tried to PM you this morning and it says your box is full to bursting so wont send!!

Rob
RobV
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 8:34am

Whooooops!!

Who shall police the policeman?? Smile

Have another go Rob

Chris

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:16am
Hi Chris any chance on a increase on the amount of photos that can be uploaded, as I have found it a bit restrictive ,and keep having to delete some of my past postings that were quite informative pics. keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:23am

Hi Keith

I'll look into this. The underlying problem is that we do have a restricted space on the server and I certainly can't afford to pay for more.

Have you tried hosting your photos on one of the photo hosting websites and linking to them instead?

All the best

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic