the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legislation Information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legislation Information
    Posted: 07 Dec 2004 at 11:05am

Oh and it is not just developers that bend the law - Certain Wildlife Trusts and other organisations have broken the laws protecting wildlife with the full knowledge of DEFRA and English Nature........

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2004 at 11:03am

I think that we may need the help of some WCO's to ensure that the advice is correct and will actually lead to a successful prosecution - Steve Parnwell used to be a WCO and is good on this

He is about to become the chair of the Peterborough and Cambridgeshire ARG I think

JC

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 8:36pm
Makes sense, I'll contact the BCT and see what they say about using their format to start with.
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 8:27pm
I think that it would be a good idea to produce the pdfs. However, they need the support of HCT/Froglife. Ideally they would be printed as a joint publication that included HGBI as well. Not sure who to approach over this but it wouldn't hurt to mention it to Froglife. If somebody was willing to approach the BCT to ask permission for 'borrowing' the format, it wouldn't be too great a task to do. The final document could easily be made available as a pdf on various websites.
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 8:06pm

..or perhaps we should just produce similar pdf's and and hope they are widely adopted...

calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 12:57pm
Gemma,

Sounds like a plan. Some of the pdfs available for download from the site you mention are also very helpful. Perhaps we should ask HCT/Froglife to produce a similar document for use by herp workers?
Lee Brady

Email
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 12:38pm

Lee, I did a brief web search and came up with this page from the Bat Conservation Trust, I think a similar page for arg sites would be well worth the effort.

http://www.bats.org.uk/batlaw/batlaw_in_detail.asp

Can I suggest I draft out a similar document concerning reptiles and amphibians and make it available here for criticisms, additions and corrections? I would then mount the page on RAUK and the KRAG site for adoption by anyone that thinks it may be useful. (I can see it as a useful KRAG publication for mailing out also)

If anyone wants to raise any points before I draft it out (or knows of any particular legislation that is unique to herps), please feel free to let me know in advance. (It may take me sometime to put this together as I'm no expert on wildlife law).

I agree that we need the recording effort in the first instance but believe if people felt more enabled when they see developers and others bending or blatantly breaking the law it would go a long way to get their long-term interest.

calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 9:07am

Originally Posted by administrator at

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=815&PN=1

I think it would be really useful to produce a list of action points for arg members and the public on how to deal with apparent wildlife crimes.. any chance of getting this off the ground??

Gemma Fairchild

Gemma,

Good idea. Perhaps RAUk members can contribute by making suggestions to the forum. However, also remember that organisations like the RSPB and Bat Conservation Trust may already have published similar information. It might be worthwhile making a few enquiries and seeing if there is an existing format that can be adapted.

To kick things off I suggest that everybody does everything they can to send in records! We cannot do anything if we don't know what is found where.

Edited by administrator
Lee Brady

Email
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic