the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palmate Newt Distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 3:41am

Hi Mick

Palmates have been rediscovered in Norfolk by Steve Prowse (NARG + NT) by looking for ponds in ancient woodland located on acidic geology and he has found that the species is also associated with Sessile Oak - he gave an excellent talk on this at the East Anglia Regional Meeting (19th Nov) and he is hoping to find more palmate newt sites - funnily enough the palmate is rarer than the Natterjack Toad in Norfolk!

Perhaps you should look for similar sites to the one you know may contain newts in the BBONT reserve

Regards

JC

Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 4:43pm

Hi JC.

I've only read, or heard they're at that reserve (called the Henry stephen/C.S.Lewis Reserve where all 3 native species are meant to be)  & the area's unfortunately a bit too far from me to survey. Anyway, i wouldn't be at all surprised if the possible Palmates there were introduced. That's great news about Palmates in Norfolk by the way! 

I suppose it depends on the places in the UK i've been to but, for myself, i find the Palmate almost as rare as the Crested to come across, although thankfully Cresteds aren't rare in Oxfordshire. I just don't think Oxfordshire's got much in the way of those typically acidic ponds that Palmates naturally tend to frequent.

For studying their pond antics up close, i think Palmates are slightly more characterful, interesting & fun to watch than Smooths. Then again, i find all newts up my pond fascinating fun to spend to ages every year watching.         

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 4:06am

Steve mentioned that they court alot more than the smoothies- it would be worth looking for any woodland near you - if the woodland is on high ground like a hill or an acidic geology then it may well be worth looking for the newts if you have a chance.

I have looked at the geology of Oxfordshire and it seems pretty much alkaline or neutral - which possibly wouldnt be favourable for the newt?

regards

JC

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 8:02am

Yeah thats right there is a great little feature on the www.magic.gov.uk website where you map the soil scape of counties very handy to locate potential newt sites -

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
will j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2006 at 10:44am
aren't there palmates on the Scilly islands and either Jersey are Gurnesy?
Birder from Shropshire, adrift in Cornwall!
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2006 at 9:23am

JC recently enquired of herp's on the Scillies & i think it was found that, of newt species, there's records of Smooths there. I'd have thought Palmates were more likely, as well as maybe a land reptile, or two, but apparently not. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic