the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natrix - the longest!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 8:56pm

And just as a reminder to all those hunters out there - you wished!

RobV
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 3:37pm

Don't forget the northern monster - your's is from darrrrn sarrrrf matey

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 4:45pm
ITS A BLOODY SLOWORM
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm

I picked up a scrambler today from a farmer in Somerset. The location looked like perfect natrix country so I couldn't help but ask if they were in the vicinity.

He seemed very interested in my interest and sort of "checked me out" before telling me that nearby there are some monsters and told me some stories. One was from 3 or 4 years ago of a woman who ran  over an absolute monster that was crossing a country lane. She ran it over with both wheels and the tail was still off the road so the estimated length was geting on for 10 feet!!

Now thats the first time I've heard anyone quote 10 feet for a grassie and I'm sure its an exaggeration but even so if there is some truth in the story it must have been pretty darn big!

I know similar stories have already been quoted in this thread and this could be just a (sub)urban legend or just maybe it could be something that does happen from time to time...?

Either way I've made a note of the location and I will be checking it out next year. (Oh, and if I do find a monster I promise to post up some photos of me holding it (if I'm not too scared to pick it up)).

Paul

Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 7:43pm
A snake that size is going to unleash a serious skunking if you pick it up.
"England Expects"
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 8:16pm
Paul no doubt you'll have to use some of that stitching-photos-together software unless you want us to look at one of those snakes in sections as it'll never fit on one photo
Suz
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:18pm

Hi Folks, been meaning to post an update on this for ages....

I checked out the place rumoured to have the monsters and whilst I did see a snake it was well within the normal size range... I also spoke to a local who lived near to the spot where allegedly the monster had been run over and she knew nothing about it and had never even seen a snake herself in the 20 plus years she had lived there Cry

This, in part, has led me to the conclusion that the stories of snakes being run over on a track with their head over one side and their tail over the other etc are more than likely cobblers! However, I do now know that very large grass snakes do exist....

In the summer on the Mendips I came across the largest grass snake I have ever seen. I stepped over a bank and there it was coming towards me, heading for the cover to my left. It was VERY fast and took me completely by surprise - even though it was coming at me I only managed to grab its tail - I had two hands on it but the rest of the snake was in the undergrowth and she was pulling very hard, so hard in fact that I was worried I might hurt her I had to let her go.

Now what is interesting is that I don't know how long it was - I mean I know more about grass snakes than the average Joe Public and I'm pretty good at estimating the length of the typical grassie within a few inches, but this one was in a different league and one which I have no experience of. Had the snake been stretched out straight (like they do when they get run overWink) I could have made an educated guess but whilst on the move it is VERY difficult to say, it was chunky and certainly "over 4 feet"...

I joined my local RAG recently (don't know why I haven't joined before!?) and was very pleased when the chairman (Andy RyderStar) told me he had a large natrix slough that had been handed in - measuring a tadge under 6 feet !!

This got my attention and I just had to see it!

What was strange is that although I saw it laid out on the desk in front of me and we measured it at 5 feet 10 inches (see below) - it didn't look as big as I thought it would! It wasn't as thick and the head was smaller than I had anticipated (although the head wasn't in great shape). Now don't get me wrong it is VERY impressive and I was chuffed to bits to see it - my conclusion is that either I've read too many of Rob V's postsWink or maybe the one I saw on the Mendips was bigger than I thought Shocked (or perhaps this was “just” a male!!)

Either way, enjoy:

Interestingly, if you lay out the slough in a serpentine fashion (ie an S shape) it is very difficult to guess the length if you just get a fleeting glance (don't you agree?)

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 10:09pm
I might have already posted on this thread as it's quite old, but just to repeat if so, there were plenty of large grassies in the southern Lake District when I lived there in the 1960s. Lots of suitable habitat and very undisturbed. Probably still plenty.
Suz
rickanstis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickanstis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:41am
Delighted to see this corres re-invigorated!
I had a report in 2009 from Box Hill, Surrey, from a very excited electrician, had seen a Grass Snake run over by the car in front of him when driving along , and " knew how to measure pipe and cable by eye, so could say for sure that it was over six feet long". It went on moving to the roadside (!) but then was motionless. He was scared to pick it up. When I went to the location he gave me (probably three hours later) there was no sign of said snake; but quite a lot of disturbance etc to the vegetation, so I'm happy to beleive that something was there ...
and get beyond the BS, you do at least appreciate the difficulties of accurate measurmement by eye, especially in times of high excitement; the lack of benchmarks; and the unlikelihood that even in this iPhone age you're going to get a decent, believable photo from many witnesses. And those great slough shots in prev posts add the problem of 'stretching' of an 'empty' skin when trying to measure the size of the original wearer!
Great debate - keep it up! Let's have loads more evidence!
Cheers all
Rick
Richard Anstis, Secretary, Surrey ARG
with best wishes
Rick Anstis
Secretary, Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group
7 Arundel Road DORKING RH4 3HY
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 8:59am

How big would you say this girl is?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic