the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garden Frogspawn 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garden Frogspawn 2020
    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 8:19pm
As my pond is heaving with frogs and we seem to be heading into some warm and wet weather I am expecting my first frog-spawn very soon so thought I would get a thread ready!

Anyone else got any in their gardens yet or is it just the odd early bit from the wild as reported a couple of weeks back?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:36pm
Chubsta, I posted on another thread about my frog spawn this year. In fact I have got heaps of it now - the best year ever. So much I'm not sure how many clumps! I have had three separate 'waves' of frogs come to the pond and cavort and lay and then disperse. Last night the latest lot arrived and I see two new clumps in the pond as they are in different places to the originals. 
The two clumps I moved to my new tiny pond are already at the comma stage. This will be because of the shallower warmer water and the position will catch any sun all day. The other spawn that was laid at the same time is still full stops as it catches less sun and deeper water. 
Good luck with yours!
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Chubsta, I posted on another thread about my frog spawn this year. 

for some reason when I click on 'new posts' it doesn't seem to always show them - nice to hear you have loads though, gives me hope! Found a toad in the road this evening so have put him in the garden where at least he will be safe, lord only knows where he was going but as it was a very busy junction I doubt he would have made it...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 12:27am
Well done with the toad rescue!
Forgot to say that my first frogs were three weeks earlier than last year.
I don't always get the new posts either Chubsta, no idea why!
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:09pm
Yes, plenty of spawn here in Glos. I'll be keeping an eye on the weather now and will bring some in to protect it if necessary.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:46pm
Counted over 50 frogs earlier this evening, still no spawn though. Still plenty of frogs to come as there were two on the verge heading towards the garden as I drove up, looks like it could be a bumper year!

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 1:47pm
From 0degrees during the night on Thursday temperatures went up to 11degress last night, obviously the frogs liked it! 

The pond has never looked so healthy with loads of different species of plants, the snails are everywhere, loads of shrimps etc, so hopefully this will lead to a big crop of tadpoles too - in previous years a lot of the spawn has dropped down to the bottom but there is not really any room amongst the weed for this to happen this year.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:04pm
Brilliant Chubsta! I've even had some more overnight. 
I am envious of you if that is water forget me not I see, as I lost mine (smothered by duck weed).
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 5:53am
Coming along very nicely! A few days of sun, with plenty more to come has really brought the pond alive...

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 11:49am
Wow that looks amazing!

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic