the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conflict with frogs/toads and a running club

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conflict with frogs/toads and a running club
    Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:51pm
Hi

I run a toad patrol and it was reported to me that literally hundreds of frogs or toads were trampled on and were left either dead or dying, last spring on Penistone Hill which is on the moors at Haworth. After researching into it I found out that a running club put every year four ‘Bunny Runs’ in an evening, one each week around April time. I looked back at my toad records for last year and saw that three of the Bunny Runs were on nights when the weather conditions were wet or foggy and it was very toady. This year on the evenings of the Bunny Runs it  was dry and not toady so everything was fine. Next year it may not be the same. Or the year after.

I contacted the running club, Wharfedale Harriers, and asked them if they could move their future runs to an earlier start time so that the runners would be finished before the frogs and toads come out in an evening, my response was basically no. Where would you go from here?

Sue

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic