the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Slow worms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 Slow worms
    Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 12:51pm
Everything is waking up on this sunny warm day (15degC) in East Devon. Already seen several Brimstones, a Comma and Peacock butterflies in the garden.
I checked on the covers and found this...

Then peeled the plastic off one of the compost heaps and found about ten adults...here's a couple...

Edited by Suzy - 23 Feb 2019 at 12:51pm
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 5:06pm
Wow, brilliant Suzi. The full range too; what looks like one of last year's young, plus an adult male and female together

Next you'll be telling us you've heard a cuckoo as well!

I'm going to have to move 'slow worm central' (the compost heap) as the new neighbours have put a bloody great shed up which means it's not getting much direct sunlight now. . Quite a task as it's about 1.5 x 1.5 x 1 m.

I've been regularly checking under the plastic sheeting covering it anyway but alas no shiny slow worms so far.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 8:39pm
No cuckoos yet Ben, maybe later this week Wink
I have looked under the covers a few days when it's been sunny, but the very warm day now seems to have brought them out. I didn't look today  - which was n even better day.
Sorry about your compost heap getting overshadowed. We are getting that with a neighbours' conifers which have both got huge. They did seem to top them for several years but now they're massive. They also cast shade over our veg garden to some extent. I would pay for them to be removed! Our compost heaps where those slowies are lose several hours sun because of the shade from their trees.

Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 11:18am
Lovely to see Suz. We've had one large male slow worm this year I've seen a couple of times under a sheet on the compost heap, two or three adult common lizards on felts in the lovely weather we had this week. Think activity is still a little low because despite the very warm day time temperatures we are still getting frosts over night.

Good luck with the compost move Ben, was a time I wouldn't think much of moving or turning compost, these days though it is a daunting task. We might move ours soon, it is getting really decrepit and it would be easier to build a new one in a clear space then move the compost to it.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 11:48am
Lucky you with the lizards Gemma. I've looked to see if our (one?) is about, but no signs. Yes the days are warm, but nights frosty. However all change today with rain and promise of more days of it. Still it is mild and frog activity in two ponds.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm
Yep rain arrived here this afternoon, quite heavy for a time. Cooler but mild for the end of February. Can't complain about the rain, first year ever we had to top up the pond at this time of year, it is usually brimming over. This year though, I can only think of one other day it rained here in the past two months!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:47pm
First one of the year for me - nor a particularly nice day, misty but still, temperatures around 12degrees.

Quite a handsome frog too - 

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:17pm
Dim cooler days are often best for finding slowies under covers as they try to warm up.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 9:55am
Very nice Chubsta.

Though i've been scanning the ground and flipping likely-looking objects while i've been out and about, so far the only slow worms i've seen have been in the garden.
TheHabitatGardener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHabitatGardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:07am
Lovely to see! Thanks for sharing chubsta 👍🏼
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic