the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lizard in the garden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lizard in the garden
    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:04am
Yesterday after a dull morning the afternoon turned sunny and warm. The grandkids were here and we usually look under the refugia for slow worms, frogs, toads and whatever. As we approached one cover something quickly shot off into the long grass behind (we could see the grass moving as it progressed at speed). We both said 'LIZARD' as we'd seen something on the cover as I went to lift it. My husband got a better view and said it was definitely a lizard and looked like the ones we'd seen in the Portland quarry some years ago (i.e. he thought it looked lengthy). This of course could be a trick of the eye as we really only saw it as it moved off quickly, but it is interesting as last year in late summer/early autumn we felt we saw a lizard only about 10ft away from this spot, but never saw it again. So now I will try and be on the spot when sun emerges and it might be about. 
Suz
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:12pm
ooh how exciting :) put out some things they can bask on, that might help. 
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 10:17pm
Yeah Tom but we did a stupid thing last November 5th and burnt a lot of thick tree branches that would have made a good basking pile. 
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:26am
We bought in willow logs Suz that do the job. They are good because they have nice thick bark that splits away and substantial cracks eventually form in the core of the logs, both give plenty of hiding places for lizards and lizard dinners. Just need to watch out for unexpected willow trees as they can readily sprout out of fresh logs! We have one we left to grow and I harvest it now for the branches which go on top of the log piles. Might even try a bit of dead hedging with the branches this year, keep meaning to give it a go. Worth a go because as you know I only saw the one lizard by the back hedge when I moved here put in the log piles and they were quickly colonised.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 9:52am
Since typing the above re branches I've acquired some Acer banches from a neighbour who had chopped down a tree. I've made a log pile which I hope to add to as branches turn up. I've got a twisted willow tree but it doesn't produce anything of lizard basking proportions. I will keep my eye open for extra branches, maybe ask a tree surgeon I know.
We now seem to be in a spell of cool/cold dim weather with barely double figures, so no basking lizards. 
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic