the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Lizard Identification and Sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Lizard Identification and Sightings
    Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 9:56am

As promised pics of early L. agilis

Adult individual seen on 9th and imm was seen on 21st, I was surprised quite how small he/she was only about 3" in total I assume a late hatcher? (I've had to compress them a bit for web page but hopefully still clear)

mikebrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 4:00pm

Saw the first Sandy of the year on Merseyside today - an adult male. Unfortunately, he was too nervous for any photos.

Mike

Mike Brown
Merseyside ARG
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 5:00pm
Surveying shorts but maybe tights underneath.....?
Suz
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 1:52pm

Hello,

Spring sprung?

Had first Sand Lizard of year today in bright sun but rather chill easterly wind.

I think a large adult male, no colour but big head! Took a short vid and will try and post a still.

Had first common lizard yesterday.

Better get those surveying shorts out of the wardrobe!

Steve

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 5:26pm
Rick, I'll chat about this with you tomorrow ! I'd like to know the site location.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 5:22pm

I found a sand lizard today at a site on private land close to Hankley Common in Surrey.  Trouble is, looks as if the landowner has begun excavating this superb reptile bank for sand, although these excavations were at the other end from where I spotted the sand lizard. 

I'd like to know if the conservation status of sand lizards and smooth snakes offers them special protection from the activities of landowners even if they are on private land.

In addition, I also came across 4 slow worms and a grass snake on this site and the rustlings in the reeds indicated the presence of two more, though these weren't spotted.

Edited by st rick
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2005 at 4:26am
For large sites I record 'no observations' either as the centre of the area that is being searched (six figure grid ref), or (if I have been wandering across what could be described as mutiple sites) the 1 km squares within which the survey took place.

For what it's worth slow-worm, viviparous lizard and grass snake have previously been recorded in your area of search (around the bird observatory).

If you get chance try looking further to the south (~TR 37 54). Eric Philp considers that this is where natterjacks were formally recorded in Kent (as referenced in the Victoria County Survey "near Dover").
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 6:48pm

I guess everybody has their own system;

I include an anotated map and aerial pic of the area covered, (together with usual Met. info & time on/off etc) and record it as a Nil return.

I'm getting used to those at Ash

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 1:58pm
Just a quickie to ask how I should record negative recordings for site visit as:

A) No species were found and,
B) The area covered was rather large.

On Saturday May 7th me and my partner took a walk across St Georges golf course, nr Sandwich, to the beach then followed the dune system north to the area restricted for Little Tern breeding (roughly TR 359 586 to TR 351 615). The weather was somewhat schizopherenic, being very bright and warm punctuated by heavy showers for most of the day. Normally I find this weather very productive. Despite this, not a single species of any herpetofauna was discovered. The actual links of St Georges (and the adjoining Prince's Links) looked like they would once have been excellent habitat, providing ample shelterd basking site and egg laying sites. However, suitable habitat on the links is now highly fragmented. A lack of silly trousers prohibited and snooping around the course. The thin strip of coastal dune, on the other hand, was low and offered little shelter. Invertibrate fauna was good with excellent populations of Arctosa perita (a rather large, localised and funky spider) and the nationally scarce dune tiger beetle Cicindela maritima. Certainly though, the habitat didn't look a patch as viable as that north of the Stour, around the Pegwell area. Our search lasted about 5hrs.

Lee.
Lee Fairclough
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 9:28pm

Conversely, Merseyside animals seem to lay later even when translocated to a South Coast vivarium. My earliest in "normal" years (whatever they are!) is 26 May but was on 4 June this year. These correlate with first laying dates in Merseyside. My last first clutch (so to speak) was on 20 June - again, fairly typical for these in the wild as well. It seems that the typical wild delay of about a fortnight behind the southerners persists even in the southern climate.

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic