the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Slow Worms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:59pm
So many slow worms! I wonder what the survival rate is is a garden?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:56pm
I don't know Chubsta. My neighbour found a dead one on her lawn yesterday, very likely killed by one the the many cats that live in the neighbourhood. I  do see some slow worms under the covers with missing tails, so something must have had a go at them. There are a lot of places they can retreat to, both natural and introduced by humans. Compost heaps really are great homes for them but I realise they go out in the open at times. I think it's been said on here before that you can have them in your garden and not realise, until you find one underneath something.  
Suz
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:19am
never get tired of seeing your slowie update pics suz Heart
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:41pm
Me neither.

I'm really grateful to my parents that after years of me groaning about their grass maintenance policy, they have finally relented and adopted a more relaxed regime.
I'm sure the slowies feel the benefit too.

On Sunday i checked the various roofing slates/tiles i have placed around their west-facing, terraced garden.
This one is the thickest and least reliable, but it came up with (briefly glimpsed) 'spaghetti' that day;

I wasn't quick enough to get them all in tho'

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:01pm
Fantastic Ben and Suz - very jealous of your spaghetti! 
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
that's great ben :)

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 7:44pm
Thanks Will and Timtom
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 2:03pm

This small slowie was the only one seen today during a look round all seven covers I've got in the garden. There had been many hours sun by the time I looked. I have noticed the numbers reducing recently - particularly all the adults have gone weeks ago. Over years of watching it seems the small ones are last to bed and first up in spring. I'll try and look after less sunshine and see if more are still about. Air temp 11degC.

Edited by Suzy - 01 Nov 2018 at 2:07pm
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 2:29pm
Great to see a November reptile, Suz I wonder if this will be the last one of the year? Will anyone beat a Nov 1st slowie? - not counting wall lizards, that is!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 12:44am
Originally posted by will will wrote:

Great to see a November reptile, Suz I wonder if this will be the last one of the year? Will anyone beat a Nov 1st slowie? - not counting wall lizards, that is!

Challenge accepted - it its still very warm here during the day so will have a nose tomorrow...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic