the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Slow Worms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Slow Worms
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:19pm
Was nicely surprised this morning about 11.30 to find slow worms out basking under plastic in a compost bin. I'd already checked the covers (none) and the sun was just out briefly, now gone. I'd been checking for their appearance over recent days, so I think this is more or less their first outing. I was so surprised to see them that I hadn't got my camera so I went and got it and left them ten minutes or so before peeling back the plastic again. I think there were ten initially, so maybe a few had gone when I returned.

Edited by Suzi - 12 Mar 2018 at 12:20pm
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:31pm
That's cheered me up Suz, very drizzly and rather cool here today, but hopefully not long now before our reptiles get active in the garden again.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:36pm
Lovely, and certainly fat looking so have done well over Winter, hopefully the cold weather on the way again won't affect them at all, I guess they would just burrow down again?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:37am
lovely selection of males there, Suzi!  I wonder if the brown spots on the larger ones go blue after a slough or if they stay brown?  I've noticed that the blue spots on 'blue-spotted slowworms' often go brown if the animal hasn't sloughed for a while.  If so, you could have a crop of beauties later in the springSmile
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:00pm
Fantastic Suzi - you beat me there. I've been turning sun-warmed objects over on likely days but still drawing a blank so far.

Great to see.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:31pm
Hi Suz
Totally different subject. I had an email today (a few minutes ago) suggesting that you had requested your password (i.e. forgot password.) The reason I am writing is that the automatic email giving you a new password was returned undelivered "Mailbox unavailable".
Since the system will have changed your password, would you please drop me a line at admin@herpetofauna.co. uk so I can advise you of the new password.
All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 10:03pm
wow they look healthy! don't get to see them locally. maybe my favourite reptile :)

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:19am
Yesterday saw my first young one. Normally see young of the previous year before any adults. Not so this year, but that might be because I moved all the covers in February as they were getting overgrown. 

Only when I downloaded the image to edit that I noticed a second one!

Mild day up to 14deg C this afternoon. Pipistrelles out this evening.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:11am
Great to see Suzi.

And Will, yes i spotted that red frog too and was hoping to get a pic of her but i've missed my chance. It's all over here now. There are a handful of ever-the-optimist males still hanging around but that's it.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:00pm
Just an update on slow worms, showing new young ones. 

What looks like fine sand is the work of ants under this cover. Slow worms seem to like to lie on ant worked ground - do they hoover up the ants?

This cover is a new one as I am replacing all my Coroline ones this time. It was only in place for two days and slow worms appeared. 

Went to move a large quarry tile that was sat on the veg garden when to my surprise there was a mid sized toad underneath it. The tile has been sat there all summer. The toad was furiously digging itself in backwards as I looked at it, so I carefully replaced the tile. I think that is the first toad I've seen this year, certainly this summer. 
Put in a very small preform pond a few weeks ago and there was a large frog in it the other day, so hopefully the pond got some approval. I hope it will appeal to frogs for spawning in spring. 
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic