the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HogWatch 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HogWatch 2018
    Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:48pm
Well, she visited just for the one night and must have gone back into hibernation as she wasn't seen again until a couple of nights ago when she returned, and and has come each night since, so perhaps has come out of hibernation early, which is surprising as the weather is terrible - very cold, snowy and wet. I wonder if they have a natural trigger whereby if their reserves get low in hibernation they are triggered to come out of it rather than starve to death whilst asleep...

As well as the usual wood mice in the feeder I seem to have got a vole which is very nice, unfortunately tonight it appears a family of 4 rats (2 adults and 2 juveniles) seem to have found the feeder and have eaten almost all the food. Whilst I am happy to help wildlife I can't have a load of rats running around and causing a nuisance so have had to order a humane trap and will hopefully be able to relocate them at the weekend - the smaller ones are certainly old enough to live independently. I do feel a little bad about doing it, but whilst I am always happy to see the mice I have never liked rats!
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 12:54pm
How lovely! I often wonder if when creatures know there might be a food source from humans available whether they will come out to eat. I fed badgers here for over twenty years and there was a pattern of them turning out in prolonged very cold spells to eat what I put out. Food was covered by a plant pot that only they could push off, to protect it from rats etc. My brother who watched wild badgers in similar cold weather seemed to find they conserved their energy and didn't move outside of the setts. The pattern for the towny badgers seemed to be to venture out about every third night or so. I wonder if hedgehogs work on similar lines for winter feeding.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 11:57pm
First hog of the year - one of my regular females 'Heidi' came in tonight, a few ticks but not too bad. Ate some food and then drank for about 20 minutes, before back to the food. looks in good condition, will be interesting to see if she stays awake as it is mild or if she has just woken for a snack. As I type this she has been in the feeder for over 2.5 hours so will probably fill up a few times.

Very nice to see her back and seemingly healthy...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic