the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I didn't know hedgehogs could sound like this!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I didn't know hedgehogs could sound like this!
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:48pm
Hedgehogs can be noisy, particularly when engaged in courting behaviour or very frightened, but i have never heard one 'lose it' quite like this... Little Heidi was a very early baby this year, born in early March so is still very small and has only just gone over 500grms so she is an easy target for the bigger male hogs, in this case a 1300grm male had been circling her for over 30 minutes when she suddenly went mad and started to channel her inner 'duck'...

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 12:00am
I've heard this noise, but only once. I went badger watching with my Mum about twenty years ago in Yorkshire. We were watching some setts in the half light when this noise started. We were quite frightened as we thought it was someone with a duck caller! It was only later that we researched it and came to the conclusion it was a hedgehog or hogs. 
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 12:51pm
Interesting post - thanks Chubsta . Please keep the hog' posts coming.

I've not heard anything like this but have often heard badger cubs 'wickering' as they call to their mother. It's an almost cackling-rattling sound, a bit like a magpie.
Also, i put my foot in front of a mole once in an effort to temporarily halt it while i took a photo, and it surprised me with a very loud and piercing shriek!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic