the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viper pits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper pits
    Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:08am
Ever thought Where did these ruling people in early medieval times get all these adders from so they could have pits of adders to chuck their enemies down as they always seems to have one in their castles not counting the odd wolf pit?
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:17am
I've sometimes wondered the same thing Keith. In Bernard Cornwell's Arthur trilogy (well worth a read by the way), whenever one of the druids needs a viper they've been out and caught a handful within minutes. Apart from the fact that those are fantasy stories lol, I suspect adders were more widespread and abundant before all their habitat was turned into pastureland, agricultural land or urbanised. 
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:30pm
I think they definitely had a heyday, perhaps at the start of woodland clearance in the UK. New habitat would have been created constantly, so I suspect their numbers soared for a while in the UK.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic