the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hedgehogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:27pm
I live in a smallish village between Folkestone and Dover right on the coast, normal mixed housing, although it seems like big developers are buying up all the surrounding land to put identikit box houses up, which will probably be the end of all our wildlife...

we are surrounded by busy roads as you can probably imagine, with all the traffic for Dover, but we seem to have a good population of hedgehogs - what we don't have are any badgers in the village so that may help.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:12pm
What sort of habitat do yours have?I I live in rural East Devon and sadly so many end up squashed on the roads. We do get them in the gardens here but they seem drawn to the road.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm
Well, here in the South East it is lovely and warm and all the hogs are coming out of hibernation - one of my 'rescue' hogs who i tried to fatten up last December, and who eventually had to be released to hibernate even though he wasn't putting on any weight (no cause was found, just the runt of the litter i guess) is back and although still tiny is obviously in good health. Plenty of others around too, including one who weighed 1.5kg at the end of hibernation so should be a monster when he has fattened himself up.

Anyone else seeing hedgehogs around, would love to hear some reports of your populations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic