the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2017... and so it begins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 3:53pm
I see a hog! Wink
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 11:25pm
Was out for the day yesterday so didn't get a chance to check the ponds for spawn until I got home teatime. Was pleased to find a clump in the small pond which I netted out into a bucket with a quantity of pond water. As i tipped it out into the bucket a newt's tail was spotted wriggling in the middle of the clump so I caught it and put it back in the pond. It was a male palmate having a meal of spawn I guess.
Again today I was out all day and only checked ponds at teatime and found five clumps of spawn in the large pond. I netted it out into same bucket as yesterday, but tomorrow will do a bit of decanting into other containers.
This is the most spawn I've ever had in my ponds.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 2:05pm
Great to hear your getting more spawn Suzi, all the helping out must be making a difference!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 2:44pm
Wigglers, about half the spawn is now hatched:

Edited by GemmaJF - 12 Mar 2017 at 2:51pm
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:18pm
Lovely! How long does it normally take at 'normal' temperatures (about 10degrees day and night)?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 5:01pm
It is very variable depending on the weather. Look for signs of  the black embryos losing their round shape and becoming elongated. It is all happens much faster indoors for sure, sometimes at least two week ahead in my experience.
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
Was looking at my frog spawn today...at the stage Gemma mentions above. Saw a newt larva scudding about in one container. I must have scooped it up with the spawn! At least it has something to eat.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Wigglers, about half the spawn is now hatched:

Hey Gemma, i see next up on the playlist after your wrigglers is female Ramones tribute band The Ramonas. I'm playing a gig with them in a couple of weeks.

A pair of graveyard slow worm sightings from last week:

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:59pm
Well, the advice on decanting the frog-spawn to large trays was a great success, today i put a good few thousand wrigglers into the pond, the fact there are now no predators such as fish in there will hopefully mean that this year will be a bumper crop of froglets.

The weed in the pond is starting to grow in the good weather, the duckweed is being kept well under control and there is lots of fresh water going in from the rain - very positive start to the year.

I have had to remove the fountain for a while until the tadpoles are strong enough to not get sucked in but don't anticipate any issues around water quality as it should only be for a couple of weeks i think until it goes back in.
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:07pm
Well done Chubsta!
Mine hatched out of the spawn last Saturday and I will get them outdoors on Monday or Tuesday next week. They are still in a cold greenhouse, which I ventilate when it gets warm, which hasn't been a problem much recently. I too have got thousands of taddies. I can't put them in the ponds yet as they are too small.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic