the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2004 o4o frogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave n dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004 o4o frogs
    Posted: 18 Jan 2004 at 4:21pm

Hiya folks,

Last year was quite good for amphibians in my area.  I witnessed an increase in spawn laying, some wonderful colours in the wee creatures.  I guess it will be 5 or 6 weeks now before the first arrivals.  I hope the newts make it back later on.

The park at the bottom of the street has a model boat pond, not used now.  It does have a good growth of underwater weed, home to all manner of aquatic life, migrating ducks find it and a pair of swans.  They are here now with well grown sygnets.  Last year half a bucket of relocated spawn produced thousands of froglets, much to the amusement of local kiddies and the amazement of myself and other pond keepers using the park.  I wonder if it will be similar this year.

That 'relocated' spawn came from another local park, rescued from flooded vehicle tracks contaminated with diesel fuel (shame on you, you council).  I could have collected dozens of buckets full, if only I had somewhere for it!

For the past several years my fish pond has attracted increasing numbers of frogs, it's not well suited for taddies, so I move some of them to old baths and storage containers previously planted up.  The taddies grow big, black and fat, a suplement of fish pellets and clean chicken bones does wonders.  I do carry out partial water changes, always adding some from my main pond.  It contains those microscopic elements vital to the food chain.

There is one frog I always recognise, he's a resident.  Hope to see him soon along with other 'visitors'.  "Bring it on".

dave n dogs

dave n dogs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave n dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2004 at 1:27pm

The wee frogs are returning.  I saw three this morning, entwined at the depth of the pond.  It was not obvious at first, I thought I had a dead body, so I netted it to find two frogs 'embracing' and a very dark 'black' frog in the net.  He is not the boy who resides here each year.  that guy is older.  They have been returned seperately, for how long?.

I wonder if anyone else is witnessing activity now. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic