the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attenborough's Fabulous Frogs
    Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 7:36pm
HiChubsta

yeah, me too. Plenty of spectacular species with amazing adaptations and fascinating behaviour were featured. i would have thought there was something there for even the most knowledgeable of anurophilic uber-geeks!

The male toad engineering a culvert for his tadpoles was a highlight for me, as was the incredible ice age defeating wood frog, even though i've seen footage of the latter before.

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 7:08pm
Saw it - excellent program, can't believe some of the adaptations they have made to bred.

One thing that strikes me is how animals are considered to be pretty unintelligent but some of the behaviour indicates a pretty high level of intelligence to me, such as taking the tadpoles one by one on the frogs back to a pool of water in a tree leaf then laying a sterile egg to feed the tadpole - how could that just be 'instinct' (whatever that is...). It is also hard to see how it could just be a behaviour that has evolved as there are so many factors that are needed for it to be a success - the adult deciding to make the journey, the tadpole hanging on the frogs back, the frog releasing the tadpole into the pool, the frog creating a food source - if anyone of those steps is missing then the tadpole would die.

Of course, i may just be a bit thick but I am glad at 49 years old i am still able to be amazed by things like this!

Happy New Year!
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 5:53pm
Hi folks,

Great show just finished on BBC2. Catch it on bbciplayer if you missed it.

Happy New Year!
Ben

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic