the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adders - Isle Of Wight - Location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adders - Isle Of Wight - Location
    Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 10:19pm
I was wondering where a good place to find adders is on the Isle Of Wight? In August what time do they tend to be active?
- Thanks for your support :)
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 6:16pm
Hi - we don't usually give out exact locations due to the possibility of persecution, collection etc (sorry if that sounds unfriendly, it's not meant to be!) but in the past I have found them more or less anywhere suitable, especially coastal areas (around Sandown, for example) and inland in scrub and open forest areas (not far from Newport).  Normally adders are hard to find in the heat of August, but the cloudy weather in the last week or so has brought plenty out in Purbeck, which is not far from IoW.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 7:29am
Hi will I agree exact location of species is not a good idea but a general sum up of a area does no harm .
But I have assisted with wall liszards in Boscombe ie the zig zag path because thousands of people every week see them during the summer unless their blind,I think I am the only one of recent who has not and might need some help keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Hawley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 11:01am
Many areas such as the Brambles Chine area, near Colwell Bay have lots of signs up saying please do not disturb the basking adders as do several other heathland areas.  Your best bet is to look out for the warning signposts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic