the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

beaten my record

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: beaten my record
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:53pm
Well I hit the first site before sunrise today and after getting the video footage I needed hit my second study site.

5C Windy as hell and partially cloudy.........perfect weather for adders.

Managed to count a record breaking 22 by 11.30 and then went home.

Video will be produced next week.

Here is the pick of the stills.  800mm focal length so around 3m away

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:46pm
fantastic - glad to hear your adders are evidently doing well!Clap  - nice photo too - very handsome looking individual!
slippery42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

fantastic - glad to hear your adders are evidently doing well!Clap  - nice photo too - very handsome looking individual!

Two of my sites are doing good. The third looks terrible. The owner has stocked the gully where the hibernacula with a whole load of sheep. They have mullered the entire area. The first two visits only one adder when two years ago I found 15+.

Didnt get to that particular site last year die to the accident I had but it looks bad.

I'm going to do an article on it if I find it is as bad as I suspect

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 3:53pm
Counts like that are beginning to seem like a distant memory to me. Nothing close at sites in Essex for the past few years, seems like I just catch the tail-end of declining populations over and over.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 4:37pm
Not like birds Gemma where they can fly in and make up the gaps!
Wait a few years and money will be thrown around to restore the habitats for adders, but it will be too late.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 5:12pm
I was talking to someone on a site today about just that Suz.

I almost see my role now as recording where adders once were - so that in maybe 20-30 years when the message gets across to fell the bloody trees and stop bashing the last remaining open heathland habitats to death, whoever follows might at least know where to re-introduce them...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 5:49pm
Good morning for you Slippery with such a total seen. A great time of year with it all to come I always think.
I'm really eager to use my new bat detector as I'm almost certain we had greater horseshoes here last year (in the gardens). It seems they have their own distinct frequency so I shouldn't muddle them up with anything else. Sorry off topic but all part of spring fever for me!
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic