the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards - Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 6:16am
I spent the day at Cotswold Wildlife Park in Oxfordshire yesterday. Despite perfect conditions and a lengthy search there was no sign of any Pm at the historic site within the park grounds.

I also managed to speak to one of the gardeners and a couple of members of staff, also the park's owner. No one could recall seeing any Wall lizards in the grounds in recent years. Looks like this small population has died out.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 6:46am
sounds fairly conclusive - I guess with other species one would be less hasty in saying a population is extinct, but wall lizards are so much more obliging than others in making themselves obvious!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 9:10pm
This population was in a fairly restricted area as well. Unless some have shifted elsewhere within the grounds then I would say extinct here.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 5:46pm
After the rain of the previous couple of days I popped down to Boscombe clifftop to see how many Lb were showing in the morning sunshine....

Answer - none.  Best area for them reduced to a charred wasteland (once again)

There were however Podarcis sunbathing on the edges of the burn.

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:35am
not looking good for them :(. keep us posted if you can

tim

Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 6:47pm
Will do Tim, but I'm guessing the implications of this recent fire won't become evident until next Spring/Summer.
Hawley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 1:51pm

Saw lots of Wall Lizards at the Botanical Gardens at Ventnor on the Isle of Wight.  Apparantly there is a lizard walk around the town, but you have to purchase the map over the web www.gifttonature.org.uk

Also saw some common lizards in Parkhurst Forest on the island.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 7:45am
It always seems to be the most populated herp areas that these fires appear to ravage within the cliffs of Boscombe that some times makes me think these are started with the reason of wiping them out by people within the local park lands dept who wish to eradicate them from the councils Ne nature agenda? and it is also a quick solution to remove unwanted gorse and natural shrubs that can later be landscaped into pretty laid out flowery gardens costing the ratepayer thousands of quid to employ contractors rather then have reptiles rampaging on the cliff top paths scaring off the holiday makers !. But I am aware that illegal bbques are a fire hazard keith

Edited by AGILIS - 28 Jul 2015 at 7:54am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:00pm
Interesting conspiracy theory there Keith.

The area which has been burnt again is right next to the cliff top. It luckily didn't spread down the cliff towards the promenade and beach. I have seen small groups of local school kids sitting around in the gorse stand to have a fag and bunk off school. However the schools are on holiday at the moment so who knows.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:03pm
Hi 'Hawley', Thanks for posting some Pm from over the water. I am yet to make the trip to check out the populations on IOW to see how they compare with those along the cliffs here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic