the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards - Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:19am
Hi Suzy, this quarry is very like those in Portland but is actually situated on the Isle of Purbeck. I think both sites produced limestone, I'm not sure if one was considered superior stone to the other. I think the Purbeck quarries may have produced some marble at one time.

Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:35am
Agilis wrote;
"Hi Rags I find it a it hard to believe your not having much luck in seeing adders I have found them bountiful in Purbeck and surrounding area. with smoothies being the dominent species. Keith"

I agree there's no problem with finding adders in Dorset.  I previously lived in Oxfordshire which is the exact opposite. Adders in Oxfordshire are as rare as liberal-democrat M.P.s after the election.

Ray
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 11:01am
hi Ray you had me worried glad thats sorted luckey you living in DORSET
are you near the main herp areas ? keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:51pm
Oops Rags, wrong bit of Dorset! I thought it didn't look familiar, but then I've not been to Portland that many times. 
Suz
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 6:56pm
Suzy-Portland to Purbeck is actually not that far as the crow flies.

Hi Keith, I live in Westbourne which is part of Bournemouth. We are around a twenty minute walk down Alum Chine to the beach and around a thirty minute walk to a couple of Sand Lizard sites. The Purbecks are easily reached via the chain ferry at Sandbanks (except during busy periods in the Summer and bank holidays). In the other direction it's a twenty minute car ride out to some excellent habitat in the Christchurch direction. I guess there are better locations to live which would put you right in the thick of the best reptile and amphibian habitats but this works for us. On the down side, no garden, which is why I enjoy the garden finds and photos in the 'Herp-a-day' thread so much.

Ray (- not working for the Bournemouth tourist board.)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:13pm
Rags I lived in Wimborne 1970-72. My husband lived in Canford Cliffs. We used to go into a record shop in Westbourne (remember records...vinyl...ha ha). We used to walk down the chines and must have passed lots of lizards, but I wasn't interested then. 
Suz
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 6:03pm
Lizards are still there, but the record shop is long gone!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:27pm
A sunny morning along the beach and plenty of lizards out on show. A range of colours, shades and patterns...

An unusually light brown individual.

Posing.

Heavily marked along the flanks.

Well patterned.

I still haven't had the opportunity to try for the Podarcis at Corfe but will make the trip later in the Summer.

Meanwhile I have noticed for the first time, a single male Pm in a garden at the top of one the Chines, a little distance from the other populations. This may suggest they are spreading into gardens away from the beach and cliff tops.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 4:55pm
nice shots - especially the pair at the top!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:26pm
Thanks Will. There seemed to be all sorts out on show this morning. I guess the conditions were just right. However the foliage is covering much more ground now making spotting and photography a bit harder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic