the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quivering trees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quivering trees
    Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:07am
Could it also be linked to tail shaking Richard? It is well developed in several species and particularly the evolution of 'rattles' in crotalinae and sistrurus. One could imagine an agitated snake could shake a nearby bush whilst displaying this behaviour?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 7:26pm
Interesting concept, I've seen both adders and grass snakes enter low bushes when foraging, and they certainly can make a small shrub sway about a bit. I have been drawn to observe snakes because of the movement/sound of dry leaves as they caused a low bush to sway. I would say the idea that it is to frighten predators may be far fetched, suggesting more awareness of the surroundings than I would credit a snake. Though I could easily see that a snake foraging in a bush could be perceived as purposely shaking it by an observer!

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 6:52pm
A friend of mine says he once read about snakes deliberately coiling around saplings and shaking them to frighten off predators. Once, as a child, walking in the New Forest, he and a friend saw a small tree in front of them begin to quiver. They ran for their lives. I was inclined to dismiss this story, but he has a strong memory of reading about the phenomenon. Has anyone heard of anything like it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic