the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A REAL Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A REAL Challenge
    Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 10:27pm
Hi everyone

I received an email today with an attached video for identification. Now, my ageing eyes, even with the movie slowing down, are having trouble with this one!

The accompanying email said:-
"Hello, This might be a bit random but, I was walking out in the peak District in the Glossop Area and a few times I have seen this lizard and just wanted to know a bit more information i.e if its native and what kind of lizard it is. I have attached my poorly filmed video to this email of the lizard and I really hope you can identify it ok. All i can say about it was, it's green and very fast! I think i saw one once with a bit of red on it as well but that was a while ago. "

So, I have posted the video for our group of experts to have alook at and come up with suggestions. Let's be hearing from you please. The video can be found here - http://sauria.org.uk/images/herp.MOV

All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 11:55am
Indeed a real challenge. I couldn't see it on my ipad as it moved too fast and freezing the film pixillated it. Then tried the laptop where I got sound but no film!
Suz
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 12:37pm
Thanks for trying Suzy

Oh dear. It's not meant to be that much of a challenge!!

Sounds like you need a different video player on the laptop! (although, amazingly, it played in the worst one of the lot (Winders Video Player) here).

All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 1:10pm
My first thought was male viviparous lizard but it is entirely on jizz as I can't really see the thing at all. Tried slowing it down, tried blowing up screen grabs. 

I think if I was recording the sighting from general movement and impression, I would have written down male viviparous lizard - but might have thought again if I encountered a different species on the site later in the survey!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 6:47am
If you look carefully at the top left you can see Shergar...

AS far as the lizard is concerned, I just don't think there's enough resolution to tell, but I did get a vague impression of a green colour and this might indicate an escaped pet, I guess, but to be honest I don't have a clue really!
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:06pm
can't think of any reason to think its not a green common lizard.

tom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic