the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Lizards 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common Lizards 2014
    Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 3:19pm
Thought I might start a new common lizard thread for 2014. One from the garden, was playing with the post processing of the RAW image in DPP to remind myself what it does LOL

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 3:37pm
And another, would have been infinitely better with more light and more DOF in my own opinion, should have gone to a higher ISO setting really when the sun went in, but best of today's efforts.

SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 12:27pm
Amazing pics!

Our first Commons out on Wednesday, one which must have been inches away from having its hibernacula flooded out.

Its really warm in sun today and forcast suggests most of us will be seeing them over the weekend. Let the serious Herping begin!

S
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 2:33pm
One from today, got to look through the rest, but this was an obvious 'keeper'

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:12pm
Couple more from today

I think the deal with the last one is, 'OK I've had enough of you now, not coming out again until you go away!'

Edited by GemmaJF - 07 Mar 2014 at 3:27pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by SteveA SteveA wrote:

Amazing pics!

Our first Commons out on Wednesday, one which must have been inches away from having its hibernacula flooded out.

Its really warm in sun today and forcast suggests most of us will be seeing them over the weekend. Let the serious Herping begin!

S

Same here first sighting on Wednesday, sun broke this afternoon and I had all life stages coming out to warm up in about half an hour!

Nice early start required tomorrow before it gets 'too' warm. Sounds daft saying that in March!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm
One more for today, just a full size of the first one, looking at noise and considering ISO

Shot settings Tv 1/320 Av 10 ISO 400 - would like to push the ISO for a sharper image (faster shutter), not sure if I'm already on the limit? This is the EF-S 60mm in full sunlight. So opinions appreciated Tim and others!

Edited by GemmaJF - 07 Mar 2014 at 4:47pm
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 8:00pm
the pics are looking great gemma. i think you can go higher iso but you'll need to de-noise in pp.  

just an opinion but this is my basic technique. i use some form of support. bean bags and monopods are a little cumbersome but well worth the effort. of course tripod is best but not always practical. i even use support when shooting fast shutter speeds. 

i always shoot in manual. set the shutter speed to 1000th and aperture according to the dof i want. for a small animal portrait for example f5.6 to isolate a particular feature like the eye going smaller (larger f number) the more of the rest of the subject i want in focus but bearing in mind i might also want a nice blurry background. f8 to f11 is my usual range. i set base iso to 100 but have auto iso on so the camera can increase it if it needs to which it often does in duller conditions. i set the max iso to 800. i am effectively using the auto iso to mediate exposure rather than shutter speed or aperture. take a test shot just to make sure its not underexposing and away i go. 

camera shake and motion must be the worst enemy of sharp images, thats why support and fast shutter speeds make such a difference, especially the closer you get. a fraction of a millimeter can make be noticeable. 

i don't often use it but flash can also be helpful, even in bright conditions. the flash burst will be around 1000th of a second so it doesn't really matter what your camera's flash sync speed is and a max shutter speed of 250th would be fine. obviously the closer you are to the subject the more this applies though. i think direct flash can be harsh though so some kind of diffuser gives much better results.

pp may be frowned on by some but i think its essential. a little sharpening and noise reduction at the very least. i use lightroom for everything.

just some thoughts
tom

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 8:13pm
a little bit of sharpening band noise reduction...perhaps a bit too much?

Edited by Tom Omlette - 07 Mar 2014 at 8:14pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 9:49pm
Cheers timtom, I've been using a cushion to steady the camera but it's too squidgy, must make a new bean bag! Then I can save the cushion to lay on Wink Funnily enough when I went back out this afternoon this lizard was sat on my cushion not the log pile!

Definitely an improvement with the image manipulation, captures much more of a 3D effect I think, much improved! I'll need to read the technical stuff a couple of times, not sure I have an auto ISO option available, but will check the manual for the 350D Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic