the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One of my garden snakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 9:01am
good luck, hope it's not too hot - maybe a chance to see one swimmingWink
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 4:11pm
Well the hot weather seemed to drive all my slowies and the recently seen grassie out of sight! I checked places early morning and into the late evening, but zilch. Since it has cooled down, but in the low 20s,the slowies are all back where I expect to see them. Hopefully will see a grassie or two shortly as well.
Suz
daveg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 5:27pm
Good luck with that and hope to see some pictures when you do! I need some inspiration to find grassies in my area which on the face of it would seem to offer some good habitat. Whats  the habitat like where you are Suzy? Maybe I need to find some large manure heaps on the local farms cause grass snakes are always attracted to them for egg laying.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 12:42am
I have a large garden ending at a sunken stream (15ft down). All the gardens are interconnected so reptiles can pass through. Some are a bit wild where they edge onto the sunken stream, and in some places the stream is more or less level with the gardens. I have let about 15ft of grass go wild where it meets the banking above the stream. I have also left a 3-4ft strip go wild all down one side of a part of the garden where it joins the 15ft strip. So I have made a pathway in effect. In places I have put down Coroline covers. This L shaped habitat ends at a series of compost heaps where slow worms live and breed. Grass snakes, when about, also go into the compost heaps - I'm hoping for breeding! I have a pond 20 yards away from the composters where newts breed, but sadly not frogs although they use the pond. I live in a small town but am about 300yds from open countryside which is agricultural but also there are wilder parts. 
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic