the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - go faster stripes - arachnophobes avoid this...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

go faster stripes - arachnophobes avoid this...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: go faster stripes - arachnophobes avoid this...
    Posted: 25 May 2013 at 9:47pm
One of my favourite animals of the heath; I love their go faster side-strips - in  fact two of them to be precise; raft spiders with legspan much greater than the palmate newts also in the pond - potential prey, for sure, though I didn't witness any being captured.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 10:15am
Aaaaaagh! No only kidding it's only house spiders in confined spaces that bother me, l like raft spiders too. 

I got bitten by a spider yesterday, most surprising, just a low bump on my finger where it bit me, not painful at all. It bit through a pair of nitrile gloves I was wearing, I was quite surprised to realise what had done it when I saw her.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 7:59am
Nice pics Will you been lurking around the Lopham fen area ? keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:20am
Hi Keith - nope; these are raft spider rather than the much rarer fen raft spider, not quite as big but still impressive, legspan c.7c-8cm.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:35am
Gemma,

was it one of these? A few years ago I was replacing a roof and pulled up some old clays tiles and one of these sunk its jaws into my finger - not deadly but not very pleasant!

RobV
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:43am
Could well have been Rob. The one that bit me had a big bulbous white body and reddish looking legs which looked similar, it was in quite a confined space so I could not get a very good look at it.

I blame Haynes Car Manuals.

Manual stated: 'Reach up and undo the clips from the inside of the rear wing'

It should have said: 'After checking for spiders, reach up and undo the clips from the inside of the rear wing'

It later turned out the manual was referring to an earlier model, and all I had to do was undue a nut from the outside of the wing as there were no clips to undo from the inside LOL

Iulia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 8:37pm
mmn

I normally have no problem with spiders provided they are willing to seriously respect my personal space Big smile
but you reminded me there is a monster in my neighbours bin cupboard that looks like a paisley pattern on its back - I mean to try to look it up each time but forgot, so timely reminder thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic