the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone identify this snake?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 12:33pm
The last one is really a cake

I think the species was probably Victoria Spongii Cakii

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 12:38pm
Nice pun work!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:19pm
Noodles:  'It'll be the year of the rat if the Aesculapian Annihilation Committee has its way.'
Very true! 
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:48pm
Thank goodness for that. Thanks, Gemma. I was thinking I would never be able to show my face here again.

Richard
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 2:32pm
You are welcome Richard, even if it had been plastic no need to worry, the forum is here for us all to learn things. 
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:41pm

I don't think it is real Gemma... If you look at the rat Snake with traditional markings you will see how focused his eyes are on where he is going to strike. This is what I've noticed with all the snakes I've owned. But if you look at Richard's original picture, although the agape defensive stance looks real enough, the eyes have no intent.

I'm not worried if I'm wrong by the way, so don't go losing any sleep over it...Wink

R
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:43pm

Victoria spongii cakii hahaha

RobV
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

I don't think it is real Gemma... If you look at the rat Snake with traditional markings you will see how focused his eyes are on where he is going to strike. This is what I've noticed with all the snakes I've owned. But if you look at Richard's original picture, although the agape defensive stance looks real enough, the eyes have no intent.

I'm not worried if I'm wrong by the way, so don't go losing any sleep over it...Wink

R

Well I won't be losing sleep over it either, but they are obviously real to me, I posted a link to Richard's image on the web, if you click on the image after following the link, you'll find the following from the owner. Clearly she/he thinks it is real and not rubber/plastic etc Wink

This is my new Leucistic Texas ratsnake, shipped fresh from BHB reptiles. He's a real firery little thing! I'm sure he will tame down eventually, but right now he's convinced that everything is out to eat him, especially my camera!

Lucy the ratsnake exhibits what is called leucism, which is a condition characterized by reduced pigmentation in animals and humans. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin. Which is how you end up with an all white snake and cute little blue eyes!

And yes, I am the most creative name-giver of all time. But I wanted a Beatles theme here. :P

Edited by GemmaJF - 12 Feb 2013 at 7:28pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 6:54pm
PS Rob, if you follow the link the owner mentioned it died shortly after the picture was taken of some mysterious unknown ailment, could it be the eyes were showing signs of the illness?

Certainly in that larger picture above the pupils look dilated to me and not those of a healthy animal

PS I didn't actually mean dilated (which means enlarged pupils) I meant kind of more sunken, they just look odd to me, like it is a bit dehydrated or something.

Edited by GemmaJF - 12 Feb 2013 at 7:13pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:04pm
Richard,
No intention to insult, I just thought it looked plastic - the colour and perfect look of it, I know next to nothing of snakes not native to UK.
Lovely cake Gemma (didn't look plastic!) and how cleverly made.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic