the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > ARG UK - Amphibian & Reptile Groups of the UK > ARG UK Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glos ARG fundraiser gig!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glos ARG fundraiser gig!
    Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:44pm
originally, my idea was to get as diverse a musical range as possible to attract the broadest range of people possible. however, time constraints and band availability curtailed my ambitions somewhat, leaving a bill of guitar rock bands - albeit each with their own flavour.
all 3 combos play original compositions, have offered their services free and in my humble, are well worth an ear.

although cosy, the Prince Albert is one of the areas liveliest venues and offers all the usual fare including real ales.

gig is FREE ENTRY but Glos ARG will be shaking a bucket vigorously and hopefully in the direction of punters!

cheers.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 5:11pm

Well out of range for me Ben - but I wish you a lot of luck. And well done for innovation!

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 6:32pm
thanks Chris. i only hope we get a good attendance and can raise a few quid.

its the cause thats important and not the choice of bands and if anyone reading this doesnt like the sound of the music, they can still have a great night out at this pub which also does great homecooked food and attracts people of all types and ages.
temperature allowing, theres an covered outdoor courtyard area for those who want a more peaceful pint, although the music wont be at great volume anyway as this is a residential area.

just a little more about the bands in case anyone here (other than Kevb) IS considering coming.
few musicians like to be pigeonholed but to give you some idea what the bands sound like, here are a few key influences they would freely own up to:

Chinese Burn (The Clash, The Cramps, Abba)

The Dustmites (The Doors, Velvet Underground, REM)

41 Club (The Pixies, Husker Du, Black Flag)

incidentally, if anyone from another ARG fancies putting on a similar event in their own area, Chinese Burn have their own (suitable for pubs, bars and small venues) PA system, are keen to play in new places, usually go down well with the punters and will do it for fuel costs. a few beers would also be nice but this is not a condition.

Ben
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 7:16pm
just to let you know, this event went really well. a full house, a fun night and the good people of Stroud were very forthcoming with the donations. in addition, the licensee has very generously promised us 10% of the bar takings. the total sum will reach into 3 figures, so it was well-worthwhile.

big thanks to everyone who supported this event.

happy Crimbo!
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 12:03am
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic