the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Projects and Grants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Record Pool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:03pm
You do realise Jon anyone could do this from records by just dumping the data from a hand held GPS into Google Earth?

Even with the large icons I can identify dozens of sites from your earlier pictures. Though you are obviously very happy with it all. Your posts today just illustrate why I wouldn't pass my records into the system, if you had posted up any of my monitoring sites in that level of detail on here I would have been extremely upset about it. Rob has mentioned before collection at EF - that picture of yours should help them a lot!

You describe the last one as a 'risky' shot - well yest it is really considering it can be identified as an area to the east of Hockley Woods near Hawkwell in about 30 seconds on Google Earth.

I do hope Chris deletes all your posts today and has a serious word with you about posting this information from the record pool on the internet..... exactly the sort of reason I would NOT submit my records to it.

Edited by GemmaJF - 01 Oct 2012 at 6:29pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:36pm
Thank you Jon for removing the images you posted earlier from the record pool.

Edited by GemmaJF - 01 Oct 2012 at 6:41pm
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:51pm
Hi Gemma

It would mean having an acceptable level of detail on public maps - though of course no information is completely safe from being found through computers.

Will be going through how this can work through local groups and landowners etc....

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:52pm
PS - the records being collected at EF are showing hope for the reptiles - what we need now is more tree clearance in areas not suitable for reptiles though this is difficult to achieve.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by herpetologic2 herpetologic2 wrote:

PS - the records being collected at EF are showing hope for the reptiles - what we need now is more tree clearance in areas not suitable for reptiles though this is difficult to achieve.

That is the same story at many sites I work at Jon. Neglect of woodlands is perhaps the biggest enemy at sites not threatened by development. The public do not like tree clearance, which makes it difficult to achieve, it also costs money. It is often a case of identifying areas that will be quickly recolonised by reptiles or in some cases even still harbour remnant populations and working very hard to see that the work is done. At several sites I am down to identifying individual trees that can either be crown lifted or coppiced over several seasons so the public do not see a sudden impact at the site. This will at least stop increased shading. The other issue is what to do with the wood? Many land managers want to sell it to offset the cost of felling, a shame as it is much better left in-situ as log and brash piles forming almost instant habitat.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by herpetologic2 herpetologic2 wrote:

though of course no information is completely safe from being found through computers.

True, though posting it up on a public forum almost guarantees it will be found.

Lets just hope you removed the pictures quickly enough so they were not picked up by Google image search....

Talking of which, if you used the RAUK upload facility Jon to display the pictures please also make sure they are deleted from the server as well, Chris will help you achieve this if needed.

Edited by GemmaJF - 01 Oct 2012 at 7:21pm
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:45pm
Well can I ask whether any sort of mapping is ever acceptable? There are maps on various websites which show distribution and can go down to a bing aerial map with opaque red squares or rectangles to show where animals are found within 1or 2km radius. 

Steve has been displaying species diversity on maps so that areas can be targeted for survey work to get further confirmed records. Using unverified data can also lead to clustering where survey effort could be targeted. 

From the policy side of things the record pool needs to be absolutely clear on what the records are being used for. If we can produce interactive maps available only to signed up admins within the ARG network. 

So far there are 7 admins who have interests in smaller areas than the whole of the UK. We could feed this information into the modelling work by Steve Langham to help with the refinement of the models to predict where animals should be etc 

Can I ask whether for public consumption the type of mapping used for sliding scales and add an Adder would be appropriate for displaying public surveys? 

Surveys such as the big spawn count, big pond thaw, make your nature count would be less sensitive than say long term monitoring sites where I hope that we could collate data but with a ticket box to keep
 this confidential. The reason would be to get other useful data on habitat use, phenology from records which can be displayed for general areas using charts and diagrams rather than maps. 

The record pool is intended for to be devised and developed using everyone's expertise and opinions. We need to get the balance right with material which will encourage recording but will also reduce the risk to animals 

Gemma did you get the results of the august download from the record pool? I sent it to both email addresses. There is a real mixture of records from consultancy, public etc 

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:51pm
No Jon not received anything via email.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 8:11pm
Thanks for explaining the apparent overlapping icons.
Can I just ask where this leaves the NBN Gateway data?
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 8:29pm
Can't the public just buy Malcolm Smith's book Jon? If I look at a lot of the 'new' distribution maps for adder and squint at them they look kind of the same. For example The UK appears mostly covered, whilst Ireland doesn't have any. LOL (Humour Alert).

I guess where I would be now Jon would be how could I submit records to the pool without actually passing on any detail about the sites, numbers of animals etc?

That's what interests me, If I can send stuff in without being specific that would be good. Perhaps though you ought to just send me a login as the Essex County Recorder and I can have a play with it all and come back on this. That would give me something useful to do rather than just moaning wouldn't it?

Is it possible to just dump into Google Earth with a GPS and then export to the pool at the moment? That could be kind of fun to do too, particularly if the data could be 'fudged' a bit so as not to reveal locations.

Edited by GemmaJF - 01 Oct 2012 at 8:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic