the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

short-toed eagle UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinadavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: short-toed eagle UK
    Posted: 31 May 2012 at 5:13pm
its recently been suggested that global warming may bring short-toed eagle to UK specifically in Kent - I wonder if members believe there are enough snakes to support a small population of these birds in the UK?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:26pm
Personally I hope not... might be the last nail in the coffin for some already fragmented adder populations there.  We could perhaps rely on Richard Benyon suggesting destroying any resulting nests though... (great to see another classic Tory U-Turn on buzzards today; we peasants 1, pheasants 0!)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

Personally I hope not... might be the last nail in the coffin for some already fragmented adder populations there.  We could perhaps rely on Richard Benyon suggesting destroying any resulting nests though... (great to see another classic Tory U-Turn on buzzards today; we peasants 1, pheasants 0!)

That would be my fear also, that small fragmented populations may be predated to extinction. In answer to are there enough snakes, yes I think so, there are still large tracks of land they hold good numbers, and it is likely there is enough to sustain short-toed eagles in the long-term. 

I think when we worry about a predator entering an eco-system it is a sign that the other man-made pressures are now just too much for many populations. I'm sure short-toed eagles will have a field day during an NE sanctioned site clearance in the the name of 'conservation'.

PS Will, we peasants 1, pheasants 0 - got a good laugh from me LOL

Edited by GemmaJF - 31 May 2012 at 8:18pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:37pm
Some of us have fire arms licences so we can shoot them seeing there not native species like the can toads in Aus
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:38pm
I don't know how you could kill something as beautiful as an Eagle to be honest Keith. If they colonise due to warmer climate are they actually non-native? It isn't like someone is planning to introduce them is it?
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:55pm
Beauty is in the telescopic sight of the beholder lol
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:37pm
Voles get eaten by Adders, and Adders potentially get eaten by Short-Toed Eagles.

I suspect that if Short-Toed Eagles do ever colonize the UK it will be in very very small numbers.  I would have thought that the impact on the UK's snake poulation would be negligible compared with that of man.

I think the killing of any wild bird (with certain exceptions) is illegal under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.  Short-Toed Eagles would surely also come under Schedule 1 and receive additional protection.

sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

Some of us have fire arms licences so we can shoot them seeing there not native species like the can toads in Aus

Seriously...................if you want to shoot something.......go and shoot some mink

I am sure that NE would approve of that, Smile

But I don't agree with your comment about shooting short-toed eagles.

Yes - short toeds are protected under Schedule 1

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:43pm
Na if you want to shoot something, go shoot some people... (You know Keith where I would like you to start LOL)

Edited by GemmaJF - 31 May 2012 at 11:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic