the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whose been bitten

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

Hahaha Liam bitten by a new born sloworm could get you into a record book.I also have been attacked by the others mentioned and the most aggressive being Smoothies they really get angry when first caught if you havent a NE handlers licence keith
How do the Smoothies know if you have a licence? Wink
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:39pm
I've been caught by an adder on the thumb nail, no damage, lucky, ho hum.

Been tagged by Mexican Milk snake, not too bad, bled a bit, Peublan MS, same but more blood, Red tailed Rat Snake - a stitch tear on finger tip and agony for about two days. I don't think a Red tail is back fanged but it felt like it.

In all the captues of Grassies, I have never, never been bitten, but then I don't dangle them by the tail, don't set them up for strikes for the camera and don't put my fingers in front of their face before they have settled down.

I gues I must just be an expert hahahaha.

R
RobV
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:50pm

Okay, I haven't been bitten but I have had a slow worm (and a biggie) go right over my foot.

I was looking under a refugia and he must have been warmed up enough, saw me and moved so damn fast that it went over my foot into the grass. It was a weird experience.....Smile

Don't know if this counts though because it's not exactly being bitten.

And the horseflies seem to go for me.......

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

• Capture Sandies for breeding programme -   get bitten and shat upon.
  • Attempt to release Sandies into viv -  get bitten and shat upon.
  • Transfer female Sandies to egg-laying viv -   get bitten and shat upon.
  • Transfer female Sandies back after egg-laying -   get bitten and shat upon. 
  • Transfer hatchlings from incubator to viv - get bitten and shat upon.
  • Transfer juveniles to container for release - get bitten and shat upon. 
  • Take juveniles out of container and release -  get bitten and shat upon.

Chris

Oh yeap, I forgot about being shat upon Smile

Too many times for me to remember Smile.

Slow worms tend to the worst for getting shat upon but the smell of a grassie is just *********. Can't get rid of it for days. At least being a reptile ecologist means you spend quite a lot of time outdoors, so away from colleagues in the office for example, in the event of the description above.

SE Reptile Ecologist

Really got to get to bed now, but enjoying reading recent posts.
This thread is getting funny now so thanks for starting....... 
Night

Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

In all the captues of Grassies, I have never, never been bitten, but then I don't dangle them by the tail, don't set them up for strikes for the camera and don't put my fingers in front of their face before they have settled down.

I gues I must just be an expert hahahaha.

R

But Rob didn't you once say:

"Ok so I set out today for kent at the crack of dawn (you know where Gemma!) and caught this monster for which I'm claiming largest. It measured 70 inches from snout to vent but what was more impressive was the girth.... 9inches around the section closest to the camera!!! 9 inches! It was like a bl**dy boa constrictor, I kid you not. I've got pretty badly bitten which drew copious amounts of blood. I'll let you know of the progress of the bite, but its not something I recommend."

How could you have forgotten thisShocked?
Kogia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kogia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 4:15pm

Never been bitten by a UK species, grass snakes hiss and defecate a lot, but I’ve only had mock strikes from them, I’ve only ever found 2 adders and they were very chilled out and the smooth snakes I've just seen I was disturbance paranoid and so kept a good distance and they seemed very unconcerned about me.

Over the years I've lived in Hong Kong a few times and there we've done a fair bit of rescuing some quite dangerous snakes (cobras, kraits, etc.) from deep concrete storm drains that they love to build there that then trap reptiles quite well. Although the cobras are aggressive, hissing and striking a lot, fortunately I've never been bitten by any of them, the kraits are very venomous but all the ones I've found were very calm, almost shy snakes. I also spent quite a bit of time crawling about in marshy areas and bushes looking for various amphibians where several times I came face to face, quite literally, with green bamboo vipers who thankfully always seemed to take my nocturnal intrusions in their stride.

The two times I have been herp bitten were on the same night and I was out alone, when I parked and got out my car I discovered I’d nearly driven over a very young large-spotted cat snake (non-venomous species) and decided to just grab it and move it out the carpark and this tiny little snake tried to attack my finger. Its teeth were probably too small to properly pierce my skin and it was more like thistle graze. About 10 minutes later I found a large oriental garden lizard stuck down a drain and as I reached out to get him out, whilst asking him nicely not to bite as I was trying to help, he took a chunk out of the same finger the cat snake had bitten earlier and this bite hurt and drew a good amount of blood. I dropped him in shock and he landed on my leg (which was now down the drain), we climbed out together with him comfortably clinging to my foot. Clearly the lesson here is be more cautious when out alone, not less so.

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:03pm
Paul,

I think you missed the gag there, that's why I said "I must be an expert hahaha".

Never mind... 
RobV
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 1:02am
Well talking about forgetting, I forgot to mention the red eared terrapin that latched onto my nose when I was little. Like a total moron I kissed it on the nose, it's response was to latch onto my nostril, that made my eyes water a bit.

I guess we should have a new forum motto,

Bitten by many, shat on by all.

Wink

Edited by GemmaJF - 01 Jun 2012 at 1:04am
Hawley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:27am
Our cat brings in shrews and they have a really nasty bite Dead They're never greatful for being rescued and I'm often tempted to leave them to their fate, but each time I rescue them from the cat and most times get bitten as a reward, OUCH !!
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 2:56pm
when I was a looking for some lvs as a teenager in the forces near my camp I caught a mole shuffling in some foilage and held it real tight areal strong muscular little beast, then some local young farm worker came by and advised me on how to hold it snatched it out of my hand then the mole sank its teeth into him leaving him shrieking and the mole dangling on his bloody finger until it fell of and almost disapeared into the soft earth ,I never took that idiots advice and never tried to catch a mole again lol keith

Edited by AGILIS - 01 Jun 2012 at 2:58pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic