the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder Addiction.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 10:50am

Hi TM

Firstly, apologies for the delay in authorising your previous post - entirely my fault - I overlooked it!!

So far as reporting adders is concerned, I am sure we can all appreciate your reservations. However, there is little doubt that the adder is under ever-increasing threat and this cannot be addressed by keeping records secret from those organisations which are trying to carry out in-depth analyses of its status and its needs.

Although almost all of these organisations do share records these are largely restricted to other conservation organisations and consultants who need them for monitoring/mitigation. 

As a consequence, failing to report such sightings can actually lead to the animals being under greater threat than might otherwise be the case. Where bona-fide organisations such as KRAG, SARG, ARC Trust, Add an Adder hold records then any release of them into the public domain tends to be obfuscated. 

An example of this can be seen at http://www.arc-trust.org/adder/mapholder.php. 

I for one, really, really hope that you will re-consider - these records are badly needed to ensure that this beautiful snake survives and thrives in our lovely countryside.

All the best

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Testudo Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi TM

Firstly, apologies for the delay in authorising your previous post - entirely my fault - I overlooked it!!

So far as reporting adders is concerned, I am sure we can all appreciate your reservations. However, there is little doubt that the adder is under ever-increasing threat and this cannot be addressed by keeping records secret from those organisations which are trying to carry out in-depth analyses of its status and its needs.

Although almost all of these organisations do share records these are largely restricted to other conservation organisations and consultants who need them for monitoring/mitigation. 

As a consequence, failing to report such sightings can actually lead to the animals being under greater threat than might otherwise be the case. Where bona-fide organisations such as KRAG, SARG, ARC Trust, Add an Adder hold records then any release of them into the public domain tends to be obfuscated. 

An example of this can be seen at http://www.arc-trust.org/adder/mapholder.php. 

I for one, really, really hope that you will re-consider - these records are badly needed to ensure that this beautiful snake survives and thrives in our lovely countryside.

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris, you make some very vaild points above^^^^^.

But the word "secretive" is a bit strong mateWink...I would think the word "naivety" is more aptEmbarrassed.
Whilst Ive observed/photographed a great deal of adder activity(in a relatively short space of time). Im still a beginner, in terms of monitoring UK reptiles. Although Ive been active on reptile forums for a number of years, Im still somewhat of a recluse, and I try not to get too involved in politics.
Im sure KRAG will hear from me soon enough, once I gather all my data.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 7:35pm
I think it is perfectly reasonable to be secretive about these things. Talk to Dr. Lee Brady at KRAG, not only will he welcome your records and trust me he will guard them very well indeed, but he will also be able to advise on the data to collect. Take a brief look at our online recording form which will give some idea of the data that can be collected to create a record. In short, the more information the more valuable the record.

I'm not suggesting you use the online form for bulk records, they would be better sent directly to Lee, but the form gives an idea of what one might record during site visits. The only really handy tools needed are some pre-printed forms to fill in whilst in the field and a hand held GPS to get accurate locations. 

I'm sure the end result will be that you will find out from KRAG where there are more adder sites to feed your addiction. Thumbs Up
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:43am
I have the Adder Addiction really bad too. Spent the last couple of weeks checking sites around north Norfolk and not a sausage! Found a Slow Worm shedding its skin at Buxton Heath though.Only second one I've ever seen. The weather hampered my chances. A chap at the Ornithologists hut at Walsey Hills near Cley reckons the Adder population is non existent there.Its such a small area that i would say they are inbred.I think a link to Salthouse Heath would be the answer to help the species.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

I think it is perfectly reasonable to be secretive about these things. Talk to Dr. Lee Brady at KRAG, not only will he welcome your records and trust me he will guard them very well indeed, but he will also be able to advise on the data to collect. Take a brief look at our online recording form which will give some idea of the data that can be collected to create a record. In short, the more information the more valuable the record.

I'm not suggesting you use the online form for bulk records, they would be better sent directly to Lee, but the form gives an idea of what one might record during site visits. The only really handy tools needed are some pre-printed forms to fill in whilst in the field and a hand held GPS to get accurate locations. 

I'm sure the end result will be that you will find out from KRAG where there are more adder sites to feed your addiction. Thumbs Up

Thanks very much for that, I will contact Lee Brady at KRAG, and inform him of my findings in Kent.

Im not sure if my adder addiction can cope with any more local sites to meSmile, my hands are full with the two sites that I already visit, although i could always make room for a few more I guessWink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by flywaver flywaver wrote:

I have the Adder Addiction really bad too. Spent the last couple of weeks checking sites around north Norfolk and not a sausage! Found a Slow Worm shedding its skin at Buxton Heath though.Only second one I've ever seen. The weather hampered my chances. A chap at the Ornithologists hut at Walsey Hills near Cley reckons the Adder population is non existent there.Its such a small area that i would say they are inbred.I think a link to Salthouse Heath would be the answer to help the species.

I dont know Norfolk at all myself, and it must be a bit frustrating when you spend the day searching, and "draw a blank".

What I do know though(and Ive seen this mans photos) is that there are some great adder hot spots in Norfolk. This guy could locate as many as 50 adders in a session!!! Ive seen one of his photos, in which it was either 8 or 9 male adders in the one shot! So they are out there, and sometimes in very large numbers too.
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:50pm
Last year i was tipped off on the right area of Roydon Common and it's peak i had 14 Adders! But a week before i checked it not knowing its Hibernacula and found nothing. Anyway with all this Low Pressure around im sure most reptiles have there feet up underground :-D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by flywaver flywaver wrote:

Last year i was tipped off on the right area of Roydon Common and it's peak i had 14 Adders! But a week before i checked it not knowing its Hibernacula and found nothing. Anyway with all this Low Pressure around im sure most reptiles have there feet up underground :-D

14 adders is a very good number mateWink.

There is always a certain amount of luck involved, when you are searching for reptiles, but once you know their basking locations, then you can be pretty sure to find a few(given the right conditions of course).

The recent weather is not ideal, but this last Sunday(in a 5 hour session!) and visiting 2 local areas to me, I sighted 11+ adders, 2 grass snakes, and 3 slow worms.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic