the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good hunting in Allerthorpe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good hunting in Allerthorpe
    Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 2:26pm
Hi All,
Just been to Allerthorpe and found a bundle of Adders out basking. There were 2 females and 4 males in a "hotspot" which by luck hadn't been touched by the clearing work. The males were a little active disappearing into the bushes then racing back to the females. Apart from that little bunch there was another small male a little further away and another female on the edge of the cleared area a little away from the rest. That was the most Adders that I have seen at Allerthorpe all together in one place. I've been checking carefully over the cleared areas with no luck.
The middle picture shows the "bunch" of Adders. If you look carefully there is the tail of a male just showing on the top of the pic as it disappears. Another male disappeared to the right of the pic which I missed with the shot.   

While there I was talking to a guy taking pictures who told me that the last time he was there it was when the work had only just been carried out in March. There was a guy from Leeds who had stopped off while passing. He had found quite a few dead Adders in one of the cleared areas and had bagged them as evidence to complain when he reached home. I wish I could find out who he is and if he had any luck with his complaint. He also told me that after the work had been carried out the NE had a meeting about the work and one of the ladies who had given the go ahead for the work had been in tears about it, I don't know if she was connected to the NE or someone from another organisation. I hope that with regret a lesson has been learnt.

I would really like to keep a diary on how the common rejuvenates over that next few years. Has anyone any suggestions on what I should be recording and who would be interested ?  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic