the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BACK TO WINTER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BACK TO WINTER
    Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:09am
Well after over a week of some warm weather and every creature from birds to herps out enjoying the sun and mating are now all huddled up in some refuge if lucky enough to make it as we have speedily drifted back to winter weather. Well what affect is this going to have on them after having to go into hibernation is the weather putting their survival at risk??

Edited by AGILIS - 06 Apr 2012 at 7:16am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 3:32pm
Wasn't much like winter here today Keith, bit of a frost last night by the lizards were all out sunning themselves this morning without problems. Supposed to be plenty of rain on the way though.
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:46pm
Southern softies don't know what winter is really like, we had a 12 hour blizzard on Wednesday morning and loads of snow on the high ground.
Despite yesterday's sun went out today and found almost all of our adder sites are under large drifts of snow, in fact due to the direction of the wind most of the snow was piled up on the south facing banks and slopes used for basking. Also the bright sunrise had turned into a cold, dull, cloudy morning with drizzle in the wind.
Didn't manage to find any adders on snow, but a couple of brave males were out in the dull freezing weather where thinner snow had melted. They were also very aware and just managed a couple of snaps with my compact digital camera before they disappeared. So snow near adders not adders on snow.

There was even a complete fresh slough on the tussock just out of the photo below where the adder is actually slipping down the side of the tussock and disappeared under the snow.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:11pm
" NICE PICS CHRIS" I have seen lizards basking. next to snow in the past.
Gemma the weather here was nice and bright this morn after the heavy frost melted. did not go out looking but I am sure a few were about. keith
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:59pm
I popped over to Santon Downham this morning. Hoping to photo a Grassie but after an almost fruitless hour on a circuit i saw couple of Common Lizards and an Adder.The main Adder area just had shedded skins although i thought they would be out basking..

The Little Ouse is always crystal clear..

But as the hosepipe ban as started its above the path in places...
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:06pm
Beaut bit of river I used to fish there its one of the few East Anglian rivers that have Grayling in its mid upper reaches bit like a souther chalk stream keith
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm
I've seen Grass snakes along it also Adder on the river path. Always thought if Dippers were in east anglia then this area would be great. Always some Twitchers along there looking for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Santon Downham is just great for what variety it has. I just read a bit about Lynx reintroduction in BBC wildlife and Thetford Forest is mentioned as an ideal place for them. :-D

Edited by flywaver - 06 Apr 2012 at 8:16pm
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 2:01am
Beautiful looking place
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic