the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice appreciated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice appreciated
    Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 12:55am
Can i pose a potential reptile problem i have come across?

As I have said recently, I found a good population of Zootoca vivipara and some Natrix natrix in EF, the habitat has been and still is being opened up, silver birch being felled and plenty of beech/hornbeam have been blown over. As it is, its the "perfect habitat", although to the general public it may look a bit "messy".
I have noticed that even over the last few days alot of the log piles and brush have been moved about and any stacked  brush has been moved to bigger piles as though in preparation for clearance, which would decimate any of the reptile population. 

I have photos if you would like to see them.

I have been in touch with the head of  EF volunteer group. He has kindly given me the mobile number of the guiding organisation's Ecologist, who is apparently pleased to hear about the reptile population in the area and would like to hear from me to discuss the ongoing works....so basically i need advice as to what to say to the Ecologist.!!
I have no problem talking to the Ecologist I just want to say the right thingWink any help/advice appreciated.
thanks 
Ian

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:04am
I would stress the importance of three dimensional habitats to reptiles and warn against 'over tidying'.

Generally I would advise the construction of log piles/brash piles in the area using the available material.

Good luck with being listened too, I would be concerned that they are putting it into larger piles so it can be burnt, what a waste and extremely damaging thing to do in reptile habitat at this time of year.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:46pm
I was out on one of our local heaths last week and saw the ash pile from what must have been a big bonfire. Right in the midst of gorse/open heath/heather. I was shocked that they would have even considered doing that at this time of year. 
Suz
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:16pm
Thanks Gemma, i was out there today and the c lizards were all over the brush. I am ringing the ecologist tomorrow will let you know how i get on.

I am hoping they wont burn it as the whole area is tinder dry and of course it is such a waste of good habitat feature.

Edited by Madfossa - 01 Apr 2012 at 10:19pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 6:22am
Well what about the management who pile up these heaps leave over winter   that any creature from hedghogs herps and the like use as refuge,then the first dry spell incinerate the lot! keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:52am
Exactly what they have been doing at Backwarden for years, 10 feet away from the main adder hibernaculum. I was there a few years back when the whole middle heath went up in smoke. Their response 'well we intended to clear it anyway' Thumbs Down
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:15pm
[IMG]"

Edited by AGILIS - 02 Apr 2012 at 4:45pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:16pm
I call them by name what Suffolk councils advert on people who dump rubbish says "DONT BE A t**ser" spelt with A capitol UU=W----rs
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 3:42pm
Meant to say that it was a section of Heath I don't go to often as it is too doggy so I hope the pile of stuff hadn't been sat there all winter and then set fire to as Keith comments. Again rather surprised they'd have a fire anyway as everything is tinder dry.
Suz
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:20pm
Well good news is, via SH of CLARE, its going to be left as it is, good reptile habitat.
2nd bit of good news: Ecologist wants to meet and is interested to get more surveying done in area, especially reptiles Smile
We actually visited this site as part of NARRS training and the c lizards didnt let us down, it was brilliant

Edited by Madfossa - 05 Apr 2012 at 1:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic