the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glow-worms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow-worms
    Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:53am
If you're flipping reptile mats/tins this spring keep an eye out for Glow-worm larvae. They turn up pretty frequently and in some surprisingly acidic conditions. I see most of mine under mats in early spring, around about now in fact.

Rather aptly perhaps, i would suggest that Glow-worm habitat is likely to be indicative of good Slow-worm habitat (and possibly other herps too) and probably vice verse. Worthy places to survey if one were inclined to check through the entomological records (and don't forget the Barn Owl sites; highly popular, visible and well recorded indicator species of rough and undisturbed grassland habitats i submit!). Here's a photo of a mature larva found last year, they come in a variety of different sizes depending on their growth phase and if you cup one in your hands the rear underside will glow!

Piss easy to id too, superficially similar to Ladybird and other such beetle larvae but with a very flat back, orange detailed body segments and of course that diagnostic glowing yellow arse! Fantasic things! Send your records in, they are vastly under-recorded.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 12:20pm
I did a study of glow worms on an East Devon Heath over many years - logged numbers, veg types, management techniques on Heath etc. I concluded that glow worms and adders liked to bask in the same spots. It is hard to pinpoint why some years are good and some poor for glow worms as the reasons might lie a few years back. Cutting the vegetation back along fire breaks/rides at the wrong time of year and letting it lie in thick wedges is tough on them and cattle tramping and mucking on grass edges of rides is very bad for them, in fact has wiped them out from one area where they were plentiful. Scraping is a killer too. Sad really as I see a little colony and then next visit it's wiped out by some management event.
Suz
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
It's amazing how many animals actually end up occupying the same areas of habitat simply due to the shelter/sun exposure factor. After a while it becomes second nature for one to identify such areas quickly. I reckon i could predict the presence of a harvest mouse nest in any area of field margin purely down to this self-cultivated recognition process. 
Cheers 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 7:00pm
great post Noods!

who doesnt love these entymological Eddystone lighthouses eh?

when i lived in Stroud i used to often see them towpathside while wandering along the (sadly soon to be reopened to traffic) disused Thames and Severn Canal. they were like little runway lights guiding my inebriated feet clear of the water as i trudged home from the pub!

what we need is more lampers/poachers ( ) recording.
i bet they see them often.

meantimes, yes, ill keep my eye out for the charismatic little suckers.

charz
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 7:29pm
For many years have found these beetles under tin felt etc in various parts of the UKn Greece and Turkey

Thinking of an online form on the ARG UK website for such observations  

Regards
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 7:46pm
Yeap me too

We found a glow worm last year after completing a dusk emergence survey for bats. Was a very nice find indeed. It was sat on a bracken bush and all on it's own.

Funnily enough, yes reptiles were present at this site with slow worm and grass snake. Would be very interested in finding out if glow worms are also present on all of our reptile sites. Would be worth looking into for sure.

I know somewhere in East Sussex where you would be able to see loads of them all glowing at night. Sadly, these days there aren't any there, certainly not in that density. There is one heathland in Suffolk too where you would be able to see them, but been a very long time since last been there. The glowing at night is unmistakeable though Smile

Thanks Jon. that sounds interesting for sure and interested in that link that you were talking about on ARG. If we find any more glow worms this year, we'll let you/ARG know.
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:57pm
Interesting thread. I have recently learned that my local adder site that I monitor has glow worms. I've yet to see any but I will certainly be looking to photograph some this year.

Jason
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 1:43pm
Sussex (and others), have a look on the squashed vegetation immediately under the mat or on the mat underside for larvae. You don't seem to have to look very hard and they seem to stand out from all the other bugs.

Thanks for all the other responses too.   
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

If you're flipping reptile mats/tins this spring keep an eye out for Glow-worm larvae.
Rather aptly perhaps, i would suggest that Glow-worm habitat is likely to be indicative of good Slow-worm habitat (and possibly other herps too)
Fantasic things! Send your records in, they are vastly under-recorded.

wotcher Noods!

visited an Iron Age hillfort yesterday. under 1 rock there were a pair of "Old Stumpy" (except that 1 was a youngster) and under the next....

vivs were quite common too..

charz, Benno
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 4:46pm
Thanks for posting that shot. I forgot that I'm looking out for them this year. They are definitely present on one site that I regularly visit so I'll post my shots in the summer when they emerge.

Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic