the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 season off with a bang!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 season off with a bang!
    Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 4:39pm
Hello folks,
Had a wee wander at one of my local spots today thinking there wouldn't be aught about when I heard that beautiful noise, Frogs croaking.
Boy am I glad I went!  I counted at least 60 heads of adults in one 2 meter by 2 meter marshy pool.
Crazy stuff.
Anyways, to the good part - I did snap a few shots.

Sixty is the highest number I've ever recorded in one spot before, I have the distinct feeling that the rest of the local sites will fail to top that!

Erik
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:42pm

Hi Erik

Welcome to the forum - and thanks for sharing the superb pics and excellent results

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
ErikPaterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi Erik

Welcome to the forum - and thanks for sharing the superb pics and excellent results

Chris

Hi Chris,
Sorry it never even occurred to me to introduce myself properly!  Ah well.
Cheers - this spot is good though more rural so the Frogs rarely see people, aiming at heading to a very much more urban breeding site where I should, hypothetically get a few better shots from 'tamer' Frogs, I hope!
Cheers,
Erik
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:02pm
Clap

lovely pics too...what camera/lens to you use?

tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

Clap

lovely pics too...what camera/lens to you use?

tim

Cheers Tim,
These were all on a Canon EOS 1000D with the Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lens - most at the 300mm zoom!  I think I was using 1/320 with ISO 400 and F8.0 for these.
Erik
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:22pm
Excellent Erik, didn't see a thing today in the gloom here in Essex so nice to see a big healthy frog population and really great pictures Thumbs Up 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Excellent Erik, didn't see a thing today in the gloom here in Essex so nice to see a big healthy frog population and really great pictures Thumbs Up 

Thanks Gemma!  I'm interested to hear - is 'Frogging' season drawing to a close down that far south?
Erik

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:41pm
Not at all, still waiting here in south-east Devon! My neighbour had 4 clumps of spawn appear in her pond last night and I'm still waiting.
Lovely pix and I know it's wrong to even think it but that frog seems to have a lovely expression.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 11:05pm
Unfortunately Erik in my bit of the world I don't see many frogs at all, so we don't have much of a Frogging Season. Was at a site today where there should be some frogs and not a sign of life. Still time though as Suz says because I don't think we've even really got started down here this year. Some of the few frog ponds I know locally are dried up completely, talk of a major drought here this year.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Not at all, still waiting here in south-east Devon! My neighbour had 4 clumps of spawn appear in her pond last night and I'm still waiting. 
Lovely pix and I know it's wrong to even think it but that frog seems to have a lovely expression.

That's strange really, but then I've just remembered you guys had a cold snap where we remained comparably mild - it all kicked off really quickly, a week ago - there was not a single Frog to be seen, means I need to get my act together with regards to recording etc - thought I had another week at least!

Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Unfortunately Erik in my bit of the world I don't see many frogs at all, so we don't have much of a Frogging Season. Was at a site today where there should be some frogs and not a sign of life. Still time though as Suz says because I don't think we've even really got started down here this year. Some of the few frog ponds I know locally are dried up completely, talk of a major drought here this year.

That's a shame!  Frogs and Toads is about all I find in my neck of the woods - wouldn't mind a few more Newts & lizards or Adders, of course.
Plenty of time yet I guess!

Erik
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic