the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 season off with a bang!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:27am

Going back to your original post Eric, I know what you mean by that "wonderful sound". We first heard it this year while laying abed about 10 days ago - and every night since. Sent both of us to sleep with a happy smile on our faces. One of the advantages of a big garden pond ony about 15 metres from our bedroom!

It always is a wonderful sound - not least as for us, it is the first harbinger of Spring!

Incidentally, we are right on the south coast and just one spawn clump so far.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
ErikPaterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Going back to your original post Eric, I know what you mean by that "wonderful sound". We first heard it this year while laying abed about 10 days ago - and every night since. Sent both of us to sleep with a happy smile on our faces. One of the advantages of a big garden pond ony about 15 metres from our bedroom!

It always is a wonderful sound - not least as for us, it is the first harbinger of Spring!

Incidentally, we are right on the south coast and just one spawn clump so far.

Chris

Aye Chris, Sadly I don't have a garden - just a second floor balcony complete with glass tank filled with water, midge larvae and 2 species of pond Snails that showed up unannounced.
Though whenever I'm out for a walk at this time of the year, I keep an ear open - always have my Wee pen, pad & GPS device quick to hand for a record or two haha!
Only the one clump? How strange!
Erik
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:11am
I've seen spawn up here in Gateshead, and quite a few other north-easterners have had spawn too.

I'm sure I post this every year... but 'Nature's Calendar' (from CEH/The Woodland Trust) have an interactive map of all the spawn sightings they've had reported so far this year:
http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/map/current.htm?rsid=172&reid=12&ry=2012&rs=S
I contribute my records to this, I'd encourage others to do so too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 6:17pm
Cheers Caleb, I've popped my records in for there!
Shawit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:50pm

Frogs in my central Bristol garden spawned on 24th Feb. Numbers had decreased significantly during  the Winter of 2010/2011 . This year there looks to be a bit more spawn ( approx. 12 clumps )compared to last year .Strangely, I've not been able to count more than 15 frogs in the pond in the last month.

Work colleague estimated a minimum of 100 spawning frogs in the moat in front of the prairie dogs at the zoo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Shawit Shawit wrote:

Frogs in my central Bristol garden spawned on 24th Feb. Numbers had decreased significantly during  the Winter of 2010/2011 . This year there looks to be a bit more spawn ( approx. 12 clumps )compared to last year .Strangely, I've not been able to count more than 15 frogs in the pond in the last month.

Work colleague estimated a minimum of 100 spawning frogs in the moat in front of the prairie dogs at the zoo!

Yes, the last few years I had only ever seen some 30 Frogs present at any given time - lots of spawn (usually 2 large groupings approx 1m square + some extra clumps here & there) at this site over a few weeks, then there has typically been a c old snap and due to the shallow nature of the marshy pools - most of that spawn freezes, with any luck (touch wood!) there will be no cold snap this year and we'll have baby frogs galore in the Autumn!

100?  That I'd like to see!
Erik
Dave1812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave1812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 9:13am
The sound of frogs is nice, but I have to say the Natterjack much is better by far, and a lot louder!! Haveing said that I am biased towards the Natterjjack.
David Hind

D&G ARG
ARC - Natterjack Toad Monitor
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:45am
Two clumps yesterday, 1st March, in my garden pond.
3 more this morning.
Roughly 2 weeks earlier than last year.
Reformed Teetotaller
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 2:21pm
I love that second picture, it reminds me of the hallucinatory images the mind conjures when made to stare long and hard at the chop on a windy lake (or loch!). Crackin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikPaterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Dave1812 Dave1812 wrote:

The sound of frogs is nice, but I have to say the Natterjack much is better by far, and a lot louder!! Haveing said that I am biased towards the Natterjjack.  
Sadly, I have never actually heard  Natterjacks calling - not in person anyway, been to Caerlaverock NNR at the right time of year, but wrong time of day.

Originally posted by lalchitri lalchitri wrote:

Two clumps yesterday, 1st March, in my garden pond.
3 more this morning.
Roughly 2 weeks earlier than last year.

Nice one, yeah It's about 2 weeks earlier for myself too.

Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

I love that second picture, it reminds me of the hallucinatory images the mind conjures when made to stare long and hard at the chop on a windy lake (or loch!). Crackin'

haha, thanks!  I suppose it does, could barely look anywhere in this wee pool without there being a frog!  Brilliant stuff to be honest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic